Activating PR - Automatic Visa Revalidation?

I went through this post and saw conflicting opinions even from attorneys. I could be wrong but based on my understanding so far if you re-entering the US in a certain status (H-1 in OPs case) you need to have a stamped visa for that status. E.g. if you are still a student in valid F-1 status but expired visa you qualify for AVR. If coming back from Canada and Mexico with AVR doesn’t count as “re-entering the US on a stamped visa”, then that’s the only way OP can re-enter with AVR with valid H-1 status (and valid i94), and expired F-1, but still get the AVR for the F-1.

The second link in this thread states:

For the automatic revalidation exception to apply, the nonimmigrant must meet the following conditions:

1. Travel to Canada or Mexico for no more than 30 days; and
  2. Must have a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94.

The nonimmigrant traveler’s expired visa would be automatically revalidated from the date that he requests reentry into the United States. Basically, the visa would be considered valid for the short time to seek reentry, a new visa would not be granted.

However it also states:

When would Automatic Revalidation not be available?

Automatic revalidation is only available for limited category of travelers. Nonimmigrants with an expired visa, who have a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94 will still need to apply for and be issued a new visa if one or more of the following conditions apply:

• Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued
  • Applied for a new visa which has been denied
  • Traveled outside the United States for more than 30 days
  • Traveled to a country other than Canada, Mexico, or an adjacent island
  • Is a citizen of a country that has been identified as supporting terrorism in the State Department’s annual report to Congress (currently: North Korea, Iran, Sudan and Syria)

Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued: OP has applied for new visa (H-1) and it has been approved, but has it been issued? If issued means stamped, then OP falls in the second category and won’t qualify for AVR.

Also, is this all something the CBP officer at the border knows about, or does OP risk getting turned back at the border? If it’s simply getting turned back and recollecting your bags and staying in Canada, all OP has to do is switch to plan B and fly to home country to get a stamp. If getting turned back = “trying to enter the US illegally” then OP risks losing a lot more. The question then becomes is it worth the risk?

I would highly recommend OP consulting an immigration lawyer to figure this out.

Thanks for all the responses guys!
I did consult my attorney and according to her AVR won’t apply to me. I agree that there are too many conflicting opinions on this, because other attorneys have different answers. However, I think it’s too risky to take a chance. And December is a good month to visit home anyway :slight_smile: So I will be flying home and getting the stamp first. Unfortunately this will lead to me entering Canada in the winter, but oh well.

1 Like

diverging a bit, but did you get an appointment for H1Visa stamping in India?
if yes, which consulate and which date did you get it for ?

thanks

Mumbai. Dec 12. Which consulate are you aiming at? Is it full?

I am looking at Delhi. historically, this has been a busy time and not easy to get quick appointments there.

Hello everyone,

What is the best way to take advantage of AVR while re-entering USA, flight or by road ?
Which one is less risky ? Should we take a flight back into US or drive back ?

Kindly share ur experiences/ opinions ?

If you have maintained valid status in the US, and have approved i797 with I94 attached. I do not think there is any risk. Also, If you take flight immiration would be done at Canada airport itself.

UPDATE : Did my landing thru the Thousand Islands Bridge(Landsdowne) on a Sunday morning .Took a rental car. Carried all the suggested documents, but I was not asked to show a single one. I was asked to write the address where they could mail PR card. ( not sure if I need to submit any application for it… kindly advise if any of you know about it ) . Then I was sent to the Customs window where I submitted Good accompanying and Goods to Follow lists. I was given a receipt and copy of GTF list as proof.
I was told I will need PR confirmation letter to travel into Canada later ( Only if travelling by road, in my own car,not rental).
Went to Kingston for lunch and sight seeing.
Returned thru the same bridge by 6 PM and used AVR option (uneventful) . No serious questions asked.

@Pranavkulkarni - What do you mean by uneventful? Were you able to use AVR successfully? Were you also traveling with an expired F-1 visa, but a valid I-797 without a H1-B stamp?