Actually Moving to Canada: My Experience and Things you need to do

Hello Sir, please if you do not mind giving me some of your time and answer a few questions that I have regarding my Father’s PR process, He just got a confirmation letter saying that he now is a permanent residence of Canada. Please if you may help me out and tell me what to do next for me and my (Mom and little sister) and how should we process as have our names are also in the letter as the dependents. I would really appreciate your help.

Online history with receipt or mailed history document is fine.

You will get full G license.

Car import related taxes will all be paid while entering in your car if driving or when getting your car released from the customs warehouse in GTA, if being shipped on a truck.

Hi,

If we are not planning to move permanently and we did not fill the goods to follow because we do not know what stuff we will bring later , can we bring that form the second time we come back to Canada or it has to be done at the landing visit.

We will be also landing from Feb IS by land, any port recommendation? I also read only that we need to bring some documents such as marriage certificates , degrees , employee letters, do we need those? If so we need to bring the originals ? If you can provide what documents needed and you took with you, it will be great , thanks

@Wally20 You can fill the goods to follow when you move permanently. I did the same and there are no issues.

This thread helped me immensely. I just want to give my 2 cents. My first landing experience was not so great.

POE: Ambassador Bridge Detroit.
CAR IMPORT: Just followed the procedure mentioned above and this Youtube video simplified the normal procedure a bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b1BDOQK5HM&t=852s
IMO at the the bridge: What brings you here
ANS: Making our first landing
IMO: ID’s please
ANS: Handed over our passports along with COPR’s
IMO: Where are you staying currently
ANS: Houston TX
IMO: Do you know you need to be quarantined for 14 days and are you prepared for that?
ANS: Yes and explained our little self isolation plan
IMO: Gave us the Instructions, yellow slip and asked us to park near CBSA Building
IMO was very friendly and willing to explain in detail

CBSA PROCESS:
CBSA Officer: Are you moving permanently?
ANS: Yes
CBSA Officer: Address you’re going to
ANS: Gave the Address we are going to
CBSA Officer: Who’s Address is this
ANS: I told her its my friend’s basement apartment(BEFORE I complete my sentence “I am moving there”) she cut the conversation and told me we don’t send PR cards to friends addresses. I tried to convince her I am moving permanently but not sure she listened.
CBSA Officer: Whats your status in USA
ANS: H1
CBSA Officer: Where are the stamps on your passports.
ANS: They are new passports we showed I 797 along with I-94’s as our proof of valid status.
CBSA Officer: Did you apply for your H1 extension?
ANS: Yes I did(BIG MISTAKE MADE BY ME BY SAYING THIS)
CBSA Office: Oh then you’re not moving permanently!!
ANS: No I am moving to Canada permanently
CBSA Officer: She argued that since I applied for my H1 extension I am giving her conflicting information about my permanent move.
ANS: I tried to convince her but nothing worked. I gave up finally
CBSA Officer: I am not applying for PR cards today, you need tp apply once you move permanently/found your own place
ANS: I understand, thank you
CBSA Officer: Please wait for my call
ANS: sure
CBSA Officer: Final Call after 1 hour, Asked us to sign and initials in COPR docs then she said
You’re all set, here are your passports and other docs. Make sure you do update your address before 180 days otherwise you need to do all the processing all over again
ANS: Thank you and I verified the COPR documents which she pinned to one of the passport pages and stamped on the passport NOT on the COPR. I asked her is it okay to not stamp on the COPR?
CBSA Officer: 'thats cool I signed and dated on COPR which is all it required and also stamped on Passport so you are all set.
ANS: Got it(have no idea whether this should be okay, one of our expert needs to clarify this)
Came out of that building and drove in to Canada(Thinking what mistakes I made!!)

Let me know if any thing can be answered in a different way so that new guys coming in might be prepared with the short and accurate answers

Thanks,

1 Like

Don’t worry… Simply call the customer care and tell them you got new address so want to update it for PR cards… Otherwise There was a form to fill and fax also to do this… They will update and process the PR cards…

Hi has anyone who transferred from US bank to Canadian bank through transferwise substantial sum of money (CAD 50K +) prior to final move to canada filed out this form

It’s called - Cross Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report

I have a Canadian bank account and have transfered a big chunk of my savings in the last 4 months I am still in the US planning to finally move to settle in Toronto by October.

Thanks in advance

Thank you

Than you @srhere. I would like to notify my address to send PR cards via online. Is this the correct web page to do it?
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=coanotify
Any advice is appreciated

I think online link will not work…
When you enter your personal details there to search then it will give you error…
If it works then good go ahead with it…
but it is not able to find you as i expect, then you should call them and get it updated easily…

Hi,

I did my COPR landing in July and returned to US. Now I am planning to move permanently back to Canada (Montreal). I have my GTF listing all the personnel things. I will be carrying my Office Laptop from US which is not listed in the GTF list. How can I bring it in. DO i have to mention this to the officer that its an office laptop or should I present any letter from my company regarding the asset. Or I just pay the tax for the laptop and get it in?

Thanks in Advance.

Folks need a little guidance - if any of you transferred more than 10K CAD from the US to your Canadian bank through wire did you declare in the - Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - Individual (http://findlink.at/dof).

Please guide me. Any one who has permanently moved to Canada in the past few months need your advice on this.

@prabalamrita, never heard of that form; it talks about importing currency, I think that means traveling with cash. Unless you are planning to travel with a suitcase full of cash, this won’t apply. I suggest you wire money from your US bank to Canada or write a check.

Yes I thought the same too hahahhahaha that you need this unless you are carrying suitcases full of cold hard cash but this gave me a pause

You can bring money into Canada in the form of:

• Cash
  • Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
  • Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders)
  • Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank

this is the Govt of Toronto website
https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/landing-in-canada/how-do-i-bring-money-into-canada-proof-of-funds/#:~:text=If%20you%20bring%20more%20than,(E677)%20%5BPDF%5D.

I have transferred everything so far from BOFA to RBC through transferwise. But this clause is really bothering me -

** Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank*

@prabalamrita correct me if I wrong but the form doesn’t mention transfers, the definition of currency is something physical material thats is being carried on person, at least that is how I understand it. But still it’s interesting, may be someone else will have something to say about this.

Side note, wire transfer between US and Canada are well tracked and I would be very surprised if they need further declarations.

But the website clearly mentions transfers

This is every last dime of my hard earned heavily taxed savings in the US through 8 years of slavery :wink:

Friends can anyone shed any light on this.

1 Like

I read the form again, it only mentions carrying currency in person. Yes the website says the transfer part, but may be they are just listing all options to send money.

This is what another website says:

How Canada regulates large remittances

Canada does not regulate or tax most gifts of cash sent into the country. In short, citizens can receive as much cash as they’d like without triggering a gift or capital gains tax. Because of this, your recipient shouldn’t have to deal with cumbersome legal documents after they’ve accepted your remittance.

Exceptions come into play when that cash is in the form of property, company shares, designated stock or other securities. In that case, your gift may be subject to 50% capital gains tax, depending on the circumstances of your transfer.