Bringing non-PR child into Canada

@t.anand , first i would like to thank you for answering a lot of questions in this thread. Now coming to my question here is the scenrio . We are a family of 3 Myself , Wife and Daughter currently working in USA . We all have our PR and my daughter is a US citizen. We did our Landing in July 2019 and were planning to move to Canada this year but had to postpone due to the current situation with COVID.
We are expecting our second baby in March 2021 and We have made up our mind to move permanently to Canada but given the current situation we are unsure if we will be able to move before or after the baby is born

wanted to get opionions on this thread about the pros and cons of child being born in USA vs Canada.

1. If the child is a US citizen while waiting for the candian PR, i would like to understand the implications of not having government health care for our new born. How is the Private Insurance / Visitor Insurance coverage , what are typical monthly costs for good coverage . Any providers that you recommend.

2. I read that we need a Notice of Assessment for which we need to file a Tax return before applying for the childs PR. So, do we have to physically be in Canada to file our tax return ? We returned to USA after our Landing and havenā€™t resided in Canada beyond that. Can you recommend a good CPA who i can consult for this.

3. My 3rd question is not related to this topic but if anyone can answer or point me to a appropriate discussion. I have my PR card with me but my wife and daughter PR cards are still in canada with my brother.
    When entering canada can we show the COPR for entry into canada?.
    Is it safe to have the PR cards mailed from Canada to US, I read online that some people had issues with customs when PR cards were sent by mail but there are many who also receieved it by mail. so i am just a little confused as to what would be the best way out.

Your questions have been answered on the forum already. Look at this for more info. Also the question about PR cards has been asked like a million times. Short answer is yes, no problems in shipping.

1 Like

Thanks @panditji

@panditji
Hi, I moved to Canada March 2021 on PR and would like to apply PR for my one year old son who is a US citizen.
I have not applied for income tax and do not have income statement or NOA, but based on the answers, can I move forward without them?

Also, regarding biometrics, do I need to do biometrics for him? He is in Canada with us.

Hello @vilas, yes you can apply without tax return information.

Thereā€™s no biometrics collection for children.

Hello all,
I am moving to Canada (Toronto) around Dec 2021 and have a similar question like most on this thread. Me and my wife are on PR and our kid is a US Citizen.
Question is, do I need to apply for a visitor visa for my son? Or just showing his US passport and Birth Certificate should suffice at the immigration check?
If I do need to apply for a visitorā€™s visa, how long does it take and is there an online process?

Thanks and Regards.

Hi there!
Most of the questions are answered in detail in the thread and also refer this one below:

1. No, for the first 6 months you donā€™t need the visa (US citizens can visit Canada for short term), they just look at the babyā€™s US passport and give you a 6 month stamp and as if you are planning to apply for his PR etc. You can apply for visitor visa after that online.
    Although if you apply for childā€™s PR you donā€™t need to do that( Refer the thread copied for details)

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Apeksha

Thank you for sharing this information Apeksha.