CoPR is valid till 20th May, what should we do?

Hello All,

Posting Date : 8th April 2020

We are currently in California, USA. (Originally Indian Citizen) In our last stage of PR, we got CoPR valid till 20th May 2020. We don’t want to take risk of travelling to Vancouver via plane or drive from California in this pandemic.
1: Will IRCC extend CoPR deadline as this is a unique situation (Corona Pandemic)Vancouver?
2: CoPR says to land in Toronto. Can we go to Vancouver instead?
3: Is there any IRCC phone number which I can call from US and ask about this?
4: I tried web form and this is what I got. It’s confusing

If you are outside Canada:
On March 20, 2020, the Government of Canada provided updates on exemptions to travel restrictions in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus and protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada. The travel restriction exemptions that were announced are now in place. If you’re exempt, you can now travel to Canada.

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

*en you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. *You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.

We invite you to consult the How COVID-19 is affecting business at IRCC page to answer your most common questions about travel restrictions and exemptions.

If you are inside Canada:

We understand that these measures will affect several IRCC clients, including those who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and are currently inside Canada.

Validating a COPR at a Port of Entry (POE)
· Due to the current travel restrictions, you should not travel to a POE to validate your COPR.

· Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and you will not receive these services.

Answer to your question#2: yes, you can land wherever you like unless you are claiming points for PNP. I had Toronto due to some reason and I completed my landing in Vancouver.

1 Like

I did soft landing on March 1, 2020 my CoPR was valid till May 29, 2020. I took a flight from LA to Seattle, cross the border via road Blaine-Surrey. But this was before the COVID restrictions were applied. I knew this was going to escalate and hence took the decision.

1. IRCC will adjust the CoPR deadline for people affected by COVID. Follow CIC on twitter, they normally give out updates on their website and twitter handle.
  2. You can land anywhere unless you are not claiming points for PNP.
  3. IRCC phone no: 888-242-2100. Download an app called TextNow. Take a Canadian number and call from that app. There are no charges. They won’t pick up regular outbound calls from other countries.
  4. If you are landing in next few weeks, prepare to self quarantine yourself for 14 days in Canada. This is mandatory for all essential travellers going to Canada. Book a hotel and stay there for 14 days before coming back to USA. Also make sure that while returning back, you can convince CBP (USA) that your travel was an essential travel. All non-essential travel is restricted between USA-Canada until further notice.

Good luck with your landing process!

1 Like

If you are landing in next few weeks, prepare to self quarantine yourself for 14 days in Canada. This is mandatory for all essential travellers going to Canada. Book a hotel and stay there for 14 days before coming back to USA. Also make sure that while returning back, you can convince CBP (USA) that your travel was an essential travel. All non-essential travel is restricted between USA-Canada until further notice.

Outside of saying that your CoPR expires on a certain date, how do you convince this being ‘essential travel’?

CBP would focus on why getting back in USA is essential for you rather than why your travel to Canada is essential.
You can highlight that your employer needs you as you are currently employed on H-1B/OPT or if you are enrolled in a school on F-1.
You can definitely say that the CoPR expires on a certain date, but does that answer the question why you want to come back to the USA? Even the Canadian government gives you ONE TIME visa with the CoPR assuming that you will reside in Canada as a PR.
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Ah, yes, get it. I was thinking of only the one side (Canadian), but understand now.

Appreciate your response, thanks!

Does having a US born kid with us qualify as being essential to coming back to States

awesome. thanks a lot. Could you please give me exact twitter handle ?

The kid will have no problem getting back in. Did you file PR for your kid as well? Is your kid enrolled in school in USA? You can definitely use that point as a part of essential travel.

Twitter@CitImmCanada
Facebook@Canada Immigration and Citizenship

2 Likes
  1. IRCC may extend CoPR deadline (you should check with them using Web form). But in case they refuse and you have to travel, car might be your best and safest option. However, this pandemic is a very unique and unprecedented situation therefore your first option should be safety! IRCC will most likely extend it but you should check with them first.
    If you travel and decide to stay in Canada you will have to self-isolate for 14 days and SIN offices etc are closed anyway so no point in staying for too long here. So flag poling (landing and taking a U-turn and returning to USA) will be your best option if you have no choice but to land. In that case ensure that you can return to USA.

2. As a federal PR you can land anywhere except Quebec.

3. Most phone lines will be busy or have long wait times. Best bet is Web form. Usually they reply within 2-5 days.

If you were approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but have not landed yet, you will be able to come to Canada.

So the question is not whether you can travel to Canada, but whether you should.

1 Like

Thanks Avj. AS you can see in my original question, response is from web form and that too i got it after 2 weeks. So I am not relying on that.

1: Can I just drive to vancouver and then take a u turn and come back to USA? or do i need to quarantine in canada for 14 days in that case as well?

Thanks!
Yes, I have a CoPR for my daughter as well. She’s 21 months old (not enrolled in school). Both me and my wife are on H1B. We are still pondering if we can be re-admitted in US because our daughter is a US citizen.

Any thoughts or insights?
Thanks again.

I’m not sure about that. I don’t think they can stop you from leaving the country. The question is whether USA will have any restrictions.
Maybe try asking on the web form?

Try to call CBP or send them an email regarding this. They will give you a proper answer to this question.

I’d call CBP or send them an email.

@gaurav1021986, could you please post your travel experience (Assuming you did / were able to travel)

I am very confused about essential travel, border restriction, quarantine requirements etc., I am on H1B here in the US and received an email from IRCC stating I am “exempt” from travel restrictions as my COPR was issued prior to March 18th. But, with border restrictions, would I be allowed to enter Canada from the US?

If yes, would it have to be by road or can I fly?

any guidance on restrictions, quarantine requirements and return experience would be much appreciated!

We did not travel. We got this response from them

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

We have forwarded your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident to the responsible office. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and, if applicable, your family members are able to travel, please notify us by using the IRCC Web form. At that time, you will be provided with further instructions.

For more information on the situation and to receive up-to-date information, we invite you to verify our website.

Sincerely,

Thanks for sharing the info

Thanks for sharing… please advise if anyone ventured traveling to Canada?