Experience Letter - Indian IT Consulting Companies

Hello everyone, I’m a Healthcare IT Business Analyst working for a consulting firm in the US since Jan 2017. I’m about to create my Express Entry profile and would like some help regarding selecting my NOC Code. The job duties/responsibilities when I applied for the job are as follows:

1. Work closely with prog management and business owners to interview, research, analyze, and derive business, functional and technical requirements.
  2. Develop an in-depth understanding of the prog to clarify and translate requirements into functional and non-functional specifications.
  3. Collaboration with business owners and development process.
  4. Design and develop prototypes and test data to confirm requirements and ensure design integrity.
  5. Create software acceptance test plans and participate in sign-off on acceptance test results.
  6. Collaborate with business owners to understand documentation needs.
  7. Gain an understanding of implementation issues and product improvement opportunities.

According to the job duties on the immigration website, I believe I should choose 2171 but some duties overlap with those of other codes. Also, I’ve found that as per this link: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/NewNOC.aspx?ver=16, the Business Analyst title has been removed from the NOC Code 2171 in December 2017.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

did you get more information on this?
what did you select or what are you planning to select finally and why…

we are in similar profile…

Find the closest match. NOC codes will never match exactly, but as long as the duties somewhat relate to the duties posted it will be sufficient.
Titles don’t need to line up also, their list of titles for the NOC is not exhaustive, they are examples of titles that can be submitted with that NOC.

NOC is just a guidance for the officers to ensure that you have experience in a field that is existent in Canada.

2 Likes

In addition to titles even duties seem to be limited…what if only one duty or no duty matches from those NOC guide pages with my experience letter

Yes, that is possible. You can do the best match to the NOC. You might have done the same activities in some context. If the NOC you picked is the best match then go for it. It’s just a guidance for them. Data Analyst can mean different things at different companies, that does not mean you did not do the work.

In summary, don’t worry if the tasks don’t meet line to line. If this is the best NOC out of all the NOC to match your experience then put it down.

sorry… i did not mean single NOC for all 11 years… i mean best NOC for each of my Role

so question still stands… even if i declare 11 years experience in work history… can i still give them experience letter of say 3 or 5 years later after ITA?

Yes, I meant for each and every role try to find the best fit NOC and support it with letters.

• I think you should declare the ones you currently have the letter for or can get a letter. Post ITA you can edit the experience and move them accordingly.

@avj - could you kindly shed some light on this?

do you mean i can enter 11 years experience broken into different positions and NOCs…
and then POST_ITA i can remove/modify experience or NOCs?

http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2173&ver=16&_ga=2.145687927.2100716177.1527023848-2128238048.1526065922

Doesn’t look like 2173 is for BAs. States clearly that software development is part of it.

2174: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2174&ver=16&_ga=2.71648720.2100716177.1527023848-2128238048.1526065922

sounds a lot more like computer-generated content industry (digital media etc).

I applied in 2173 and approved. I have degrees in computer science and am a software engineer.

@avj
@anon25417004
@mrandmrs
@vignesh.pr

what about someone with experience in business intelligence reports and dashboards using BI tools…
which NOC should we choose… ?
i submitted using NOC 2174 (because duties were similar except that those all said for “software code”) but i think i should change it as 2174 says computer progmers
some people on other forums when searching google have suggested 2172 and some have suggested 2171… so i am confused now

and which one for business analyst for web services requirements and designs?

If you develop software and are part of SDLC in general, then 2173 is closest for software devs. Irrespective of what your experience and job title is, the NOC job duties and responsibilities that match closest to your letter of reference is all that matters. My main job is R&D and it’s all prototyping/coding/numerical analysis/simulations etc. But the job duties match closest with 2173 even though I don’t do “Enterprise software development” which is what most people associate with s/w devs. My reference letters also clearly states duties that matched with 2173 so I selected that.

Based on what you’ve said 2173 and 2171 probably match closest. 2172 looks like DBA, 2174 looks like digital media. As long as you have reference letters with matching job duties to the NOC you don’t need to change anything.

Thanks…yes part of sdlc…but we do more related with the data…data warehouse…building reports and dashboards based on the data in database and data warehouses…
So it seems 2171 or 2172 can be match…anyways not sure if I update application now then it will be accepted in tomorrow’s morning draw

I feel 2173 is more business analyst role. There were little of writing code in it. 2174 is more leaning towards who write actual code. I too was debating between 2173 and 2174 and choose 2174 since its more progming heavy

Community - Asking a specific question here. I have employer reference letters ( for companies I worked in 2008 - 2010) in the exact same format. This was mainly collected for the visa process for US. The only thing is: it is dated a 3 years back (i.e. 2015 ). Is that fine? I am not sure if I go back to my company for the same letter again.

Regards,
Ram

If they have jobs and duties as stated under the proof of work experience here then the date it was issued doesn’t really matter. Of course if your company is willing to issue you a letter drafted according to CIC requirements then that’s better. Also, I have heard mixed opinions about whether or not IRCC cares whom the letter is addressed to. Example if your letter is addressed to USCIS it might be wise to get a new one addressed to “To whom it may concern”, or the one addressed to USCIS may also work.

1 Like

To add to @avj, if you can’t get new letters or in CIC’s format, make sure you include the letter of explanation with a copy of the email as part of your application, that way you are showing you made an effort for a new letter, we’re rejected, and thus submitting an old letter.

2 Likes

Guys…
Please confirm this…

I worked in one role with title A in India for 3.5 years and then for another role with Title B in USA for about 1.5 years…
I mentioned both in application before ITA and I selected same NOC for both…
According to me my responsibilities for both titles were same except that i was talking to client and gathering requirements also for role in USA with title B…

I am getting a reference letter from my old manager on plain paper… there initially i listed both roles together as

title A (India, period1 to period2), title B (USA, period3 to period4)
Under this i have specified just one set of responsibilites…
Now my question below:
Can i specify like this that same responsibilities for two titles and locations (india, usa)… or should i separate these… and if i separate these then can i show same responsibilities two times or should i re-word these to differentiate…

thanks in advance…

@vik
@avj
@mrandmrs
@vignesh.pr
or others
guys any suggestions

You don’t need to separate them if responsibilities are same. Requirement analysis is not a significant change in responsibilities to warrant a separate section for it.

1 Like

There’s no need to separate these however if you decide to separate the two, then try rephrasing so that it doesn’t appear like you have just copied and pasted content.

1 Like

I just realized that My letter doesnt have the work location, everything else is mentioned in it. Will that be an issue?