Express Entry application timeline and CRS related questions

Correct, i clicked a yes in one of the sections by mistake for canada experience. I re-calculated it - we are getting a score of 469 with average score of 8 in IELTS now. we are aiming to get 8 at least in IELTS for both me and my husband so prepping for it now.

The issue with my husband’s university is they don’t want the relatives, we asked if parents/sibling can pick up but they said he has to come in person - i find it absurd but it is what it is :frowning:

May we should try other institutes for evaluation that WES and see if they are ok to send us the official transcripts by us.

I am still in the application process myself and have not submitted my EE profile so I cannot give you an opinion based on experience. But based on what I read on canada.ca website, it is my understanding that the only place where primary applicant’s Bachelor’s degree might be counted towards 25/50 points is under CRS-C(skills transferability factor) that needs IELTS score plus "Two or more post-secondary prog credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary prog of three years or longer"

As per “CRS – B. Spouse or common-law partner factors” your spouse’s bachelor’s degree can fetch you 9 points. If you don’t want to use it then you don’t need his ECA.

HERE is the link from where I got the above info.

So I think that if you are not relying on either of these categories for your CRS points then you wouldn’t need ECA for bachelor’s degree. Also I think the grades on your bachelors or masters don’t really matter because I presume they only want to see if your foreign degree is equivalent to a Canadian degree or not.

No you cannot apply for EE with your own evaluation. You need ECA from designated organizations only. You can find them here

Good news is that you don’t need score of average 8 for both… Only primary applicant needs it… So whoever gets more IELTS score make him or her primary…
Yeah you will loose just 5-10points if not adding spouse’s education so don’t need his ECA…

You need official transcript sealed in an envelope either directly sent to WES or you can send that envelope yourself to WES… but it should be unopened stamped envelope from University with transcript inside it.

thanks @srhere and @rsms, we are trying to see if there is any option at all for my husband’s university to somehow get this. last time we tried, they said he has to come in person but may be we will give it a try. if not, then probably i will leave his education scores.

@rsms, I have done Masters from UK so i am planning to use that for scores and not my bachelor’s (from India) - I think that will be ok, hopefully. My husband has done 4 yrs Bachelor of Engineering so we would have used 'Bachelors Degree (three or more year prog at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institutes) - i.e. if we get the letter from university - i still doubt we will but we will try one last time. if not, i will not add his education for score. i just checked the CRS again without his education, I am getting 449 score. i hope that should be ok to get an ITA in few rounds of draw if not the first one?

By the other evaluation, what I meant was checking other designated organization that on the list.

@srhere, you mentioned only IELTS scores of 8 or more for main applicant are enough, however I see on CRS tool that if both partners have got better result (say 8 or more) we get additional points… of course this is all estimated and we are hoping to score that many points in IELTS that we just booked.

I have not received my ECA report yet and I honestly don’t know if only masters would suffice or not; I have sent both masters and bachelors transcripts as I luckily found an old sealed & stamped bachelor’s transcript lying around. Based on what I read here on this community, I think masters should suffice and furthermore it depends on what the WES report says I believe. It is possible that just masters degree can be used to count towards 50 points on CRS-C (skills transferability) provided that the WES report says “Canadian Equivalency: Master’s Degree” and “Admission Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree”. More discussion on this topic in the post below.

You can even call WES Toronto and ask them how they evaluate and what the report would look like. I recently called them at 416-972-0070 for another matter and they were fast and very helpful.

The latest CRS score of the lowest-ranked candidate invited is 442 so your calculated score of 449 would have qualified.

1 Like

Thanks @rsms. this helps :slight_smile:

you need 8 in Listening and 7 in other three tests R, W, S…
Assuming you have masters and atleast 8777 score in IELTS and your age is less than 35… and you have job experience anywhere outside Canada more 3 years or more…
Then you will get CRS score more than last cutoff of 442… so thats why i said it should be enough…
but definitely adding spouse gets you some extra points…

1 Like

correct, thats what basically my profile sums up-to. Under 35, have masters degree and an experience of 9 yrs in UK/US/India… so i was thinking of just applying with my profile if my husband’s university troubles us with getting his transcripts.

Also, I wanted to check something real quick, as I will be the main applicant on the form - Once we get the PR approval, can my husband travel first to Canada or do I need to travel first/together ?

I thought there should not be any issue in that…It would be helpful to get this answer for people like you and me who are still at beginning of this process…
@anon25417004 or @avj can you please confirm that…

Most people who have answered pretty much nailed it.

1. Try to get maximum score for both of you in IELTS (general only, academic is not accepted for immigration) as soon as you can; early dates are hard to get these days.
  2. If you can get your MBA ECA done quickly do it. A designated organization (e.g. WES has to do it). See if your UK university will send sealed stamped transcripts to WES.
    Based on your IELTS score and ECA see what points you get after you submit your EE profile, you can make changes to it later or delete it and create a new profile if you want.
  3. If you do get any score above 450 with all this, chances are you will get the ITA, then you don’t have to worry about husband’s ECA (that might take some time considering his Indian university is being so inflexible). Once you get the ITA you have to collect documents as stated on CIC instructions and upload them.
2 Likes

YOU have to travel first, or both of you have to travel together, but secondary applicant CANNOT land before the primary applicant lands.

1 Like

When I applied (last year) I had ECAs for all three degrees (PhD, MS, BE from India). So I really couldn’t test this theory. However based on what I read in other forums, you only declare your highest degree when calculating points and then add lower degrees in “other information” section. I don’t remember how the online application was structured exactly thought.

Small correction here. @gondekar.aparna you will have to include your spouse (and kids if any) on this application or they won’t get PR. The principal applicant needs to be the spouse that can get the most points.

If you are the principal applicant then ECA and IELTS is mandatory only for you. Your spouse can choose to do it or not, if they do then you can claim additional points. Grades don’t matter on EE applications.

I won’t worry about landing at this moment as its a long way’s away. Even after you get your PR you have upto a year to land and claim it. Yes the principal applicant has to be first to land or along with the other applicants.
You can land over a weekend and then fly back to your job in the US.

1 Like

thanks @avj and @anon25417004 for the details.

yes, i will be including my spouse and kids in the application but just not claim points for his bachelors incase his university isn’t very flexible. last time we check few months there weren’t open to the idea of someone else (parents/sibling) to come and get the documents, they insisted that we need to be there in person so lets see how that will go.

I have booked my IELTS (June date) and also reached out to my university for ECA. Hopefully, i will be able to apply EE by July/August timefe.

Sorry, i know i asked this question way in advance but the reason i asked about landing is because we wanted to decide who should be main applicant - I am currently working and our plan is basically my husband can go look for jobs/ apply etc and once he is settled then i leave my job from here and move with kid.
If we travel together on a weekend and fly back - can he stay back? or do i need to be present in Canada through while my spouse is there? also, can he travel next time on his own say 2nd or 3rd time?

Thanks again everyone for all the detailed information.

Once you (and and your spouse) land, you are both PRs so either/both of you can stay there indefinitely. If this is possible it might even be a good option as you can physically stay there, look for place to say and jobs etc.

1 Like

What are the ways for the folks to earn more points who don’t get enough points due to their age

IELTS and job offer from Canada. Or if spouse is younger have him/her as principal applicant.

Thanks, can we get points if spouse is not working and does not have international experience, example, experience only in small company in india

1 Like

If the spouse has 3+ years of experience, it would help. Try using the CRS calculator to check if it helps to put your spouse as the primary applicant.

1 Like