First time landing in Canada on PR

Hi, did you get your SIN right away at the airport like others do, or is it something that you took care of later. The reason i am asking is i am arriving next month to get my PR activated but will be arriving on a weekend and the SIN offices seems to be closed weekends. Wondering if i can get a SIN later during my next visit as i will be flying out immediately to my next destination.

Hi @mrandmrs, appreciate that you were able to put together “what to expect” when you arrive by flight (kudos). I have a very unique situation and a follow up question, i am arriving next month to get my PR activated but will be arriving on a weekend and the SIN offices seems to be closed on weekends. Wondering if i can get SIN later during my next visit as i will be flying out in the next 2 days following my arrival in Canada to India for a wedding. I see that a everyone seems to open a bank account too, is this something that can be only done in person or can i call the bank and do it.

Appreciate your response and help in the matter.

Toronto is the only airport where there is a Service Canada office inside the airport for you to get your SIN right away. I didn’t land in Toronto so I went to a Service Canada office later during the weekday. It was a 10 min process max to get my SIN, not including time in the queue. Service Canada is closed on weekends as far as I know.

Not sure about getting a SIN later after flying out and back in - it should be possible according to what I have read. Maybe someone else knows the answer.

1 Like

Hey, We did the same - applied for the SIN later. When we first landed in Toronto the SIN desk was closed at the airport. We applied for our SIN after we finally moved to Toronto almost after 6 months from our first landing at one of the Service Canada office in the city.

1 Like

I have a question about a change in my address.
I am US based and had applied and received my CoPR at my previous address. I have since, however, moved out of state to a different city.
I read somewhere that during landing they ask if the name, address are the same. If I declare that change during landing interview, would it be a concern of any sort? I have my new address in my new state’s driver’s license, if they need a proof. Did anybody have to do it?

The address they ask you at landing is the Canadian address you are moving to. Since its assumed that you are moving at the time of landing, they probably won’t be concerned about your address in US.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, looks like i have to stay a night to get my SIN in the morning, do you know if the office is located inside the airport or accessible to anyone without having to go through security first.

I’ve never been to the SIN airport office (it was closed when I landed at 5 pm) but I presume it’s going to be after immigration, baggage collection and customs (but maybe someone else who has used it can comment on that). Whether you can get the SIN at the airport depends on when your flight lands at the airport. I don’t think you’ll be able to access the office during departure from Toronto because after check in and bag dropoff there’s CBP preclearance (immigration) and then directly to your gate.

I am in similar situation. We landed last week. Calling CIC is not working. The Address notification form online doesnt find us. How were you able to get the address updated?

Folks need a bit of guidance. Me & my family are currently in the US (California) and we have our PR cards in hand. Did soft landing in Vancouver in Aug 2019. However we made a small mistake - I was not able to declare my goods to follow at my first landing in Canada. The airport was very busy and the customs officer never asked for it and it completely slipped my mind. We have been in the US for 9+ years so have a decent amount of furniture and stuff 2 cars as well. We plan to move to Canada permanently by mid September 2020. Has anyone been in this situation and moved with personal belongings+ car without declaring Goods to Follow ( BSF186 – Personal Effects Accounting Document) at the soft landing port/airport. Please help/guide me.

You can declare goods to follow when you move permanently in September. I did that last year without any issues.

Thanks. 2 questions did you declare car - we have 2 cars and a ton of children’s toys and off course basic furniture

Friends another question - mainly for any of you who recently moved permanently to Canada amidst the COVID19 situation from the US. What is the procedure to self quarantine? Do you stay at specific hotels or airbnb or some government approved location for 14 days? Given the situation in the US is worsening again just wanted to understand. I was trying to book a rental lease from mid September and was thinking of directly moving to the rental place and quarantine if the authorities allow. I know it is a tricky situation hence asking for some guidance

I declared cars and everything I owned in the US which I loaded into a ubox container (cars were shipped separately) and shipped it to Canada. There are many threads in this forum regarding this with lots of details; I don’t have the links handy but I am sure you will be able to find those.