First Time PR landing and AVR re-entry into USA

I used AVR twice in 2018, first time for landing and then another time for a job interview; both times at Pearson airport in Toronto. I was on H1B and had an h1b visa stamp that expired five years ago. Both times I showed my original I797 to the airline staff and they issued me the boarding pass. CBP didn’t ask many questions but I remember one officer made a comment about my expired visa being 5 years old. I flew American Airlines the first time and Air Canada second time.

Alright, that’s good to know. I wasn’t aware of that.

I used AVR at Vancouver-Seattle crossing without any problem; rented car from Seattle and stayed at Vancouver for couple of days.

1 Like

Hello all,
From this thread it looks like I can take advantage of the AVR process. Can someone please confirm that I can, following is my situation.
F1 Expiry: Jun 2020
H1 applied and approved: Jan 2020
I797: Current and i94 received
CoPR Expiry: August 2020

Do I have to wait until F1 expires or I can go anytime and take advantage of AVR?

I personally know 2 friends who availed the AVR facility while going through pre-clearance at Pearson. I never even thought about the boarding pass scenario and I just presumed the check in desk was able to issue them with boarding passes. But based on other replies, it seems showing some valid documentation usually works.

At pre clearance/CBP, you should show them your most recent status in the US (H1 presumably), not F1 since you’re no longer on F1 status. Visa validity doesn’t matter if your status has already changed to H1.

Thanks Avj. So it does not matter whether I have H1 stamped on my passport or not?

Yes, that’s correct. I did not have stamp when I completed my landing.

1 Like

Hello SP2410,

I am in the same situation as your currently. Please help, I am planning to travel to Canada to complete Soft Landing Procedure for Canadian Permanent Residency from the USA and come to the USA and willing to use AVR on return. I am on H1B Visa that was applied by employer in Change of Status Category, so I have valid I-94 Documents for H1B Visa which was approved starting Oct 1st 2019 valid until 2022. Currently I have F1 Visa stamped since my first visit to USA in 2016 on my passport which has an expiration date on May 2nd 2021 for Visa. I do not have my H1B Stamped on my passport, as for stamping do I need to go back to India and get it stamped.
For now, I am not planning to go to India before completing my Soft Landing, will I be allowed to Enter the USA on the basis on AVR guidelines using my I-94 approval letter? Please help and thanks in advance.

Hello g.rajtharun,

I am in the same situation as your currently. Please help, I am planning to travel to Canada to complete Soft Landing Procedure for Canadian Permanent Residency from the USA and come to the USA and willing to use AVR on return. I am on H1B Visa that was applied by employer in Change of Status Category, so I have valid I-94 Documents for H1B Visa which was approved starting Oct 1st 2019 valid until 2022. Currently I have F1 Visa stamped since my first visit to USA in 2016 on my passport which has an expiration date on May 2nd 2021 for Visa. I do not have my H1B Stamped on my passport, as for stamping do I need to go back to India and get it stamped.
For now, I am not planning to go to India before completing my Soft Landing, will I be allowed to Enter the USA on the basis on AVR guidelines using my I-94 approval letter? Please help and thanks in advance.