Got my PR now whats next?

Thanks @avj

This might be a redundant question. If its already answered, please point me to the thread.
How does one apply for a PR card if they enter Canada by road, after getting COPR and Visa?

Doesn’t matter how you enter. You will always be directed to secondary immigration procedure with the CBSA officer where he/she will ask you basics some formality questions. There you give the address where you want the PR card sent.

1 Like

Hello, @anon25417004, @avj & team,
I have got a question around photographs for PR Card -
We plan to travel by air over the weekend for a soft landing next month and do a soft landing. When we go at the secondary immigration, can we hand over set of new photographs for PR Card application because our current photo will most likely not pass the specifications ( more than 6 months old and missing few details like name and dob at the back of existing photos) and we will be requested for new pictures eventually so if we give them new pictures beforehand, we can hopefully avoid delay in PR Card.

Also, do have an option to apply for SIN at the airport directly? I think I read on one of the forums that if we fly to Canadian airports, there is a service Centre that’s within the airport to initiate SIN requests. Though the hours and days might differ, Is that correct? If so, are they open 24 hrs or during weekends?

They probably won’t ask for it, and I’m guessing it’s not their job to forward your photos to CIC or whoever processes the PR card. You can try asking but they probably won’t take it. Most likely you’ll have to re-send photos in case CIC asks for it. Expect 4 months from landing to PR card. IF they do accept new photos during landing then you probably saved yourself two months. It would be wise to apply for PR TD as soon as you return to US after confirmed landing.

There is a Service Canada office at Pearson, although it may or may not be open depending on when you land, and it’s definitely not open on holidays and most likely not 24 hours. Check online for hours of operation. You can always visit the service Canada center in Toronto downtown (or wherever it is you’re landing). Remember to not visit the Service Ontario, but Service Canada* office.

All,
I have a question related to landing procedure. So we have marked Toronto as the city where we will land to claim the PR.
Is it possible to claim the PR in a diff province than the mentioned city? We got accepted in the express entry and not provincial.

Some articles say its possible however I am unable to find the right IRCC article.
Any insight into this would be helpful!

Appreciate it!

Thanks
Appy

If you’re a Federal PR you can land anywhere in Canada except Quebec (If you want to land in Quebec you must have had gone through the Quebec immigration stream). It’s recommended to land in the city you mention though, just to avoid any additional questions from CBSA.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

Thanks @avj, appreciate the details

Thank you for such a detailed description. It helped me answer most of my doubts. However, from what i have heard, PRTD is valid only for single entry. Please can you tell me what did you do differently to get multiple entry document.

No, PRTD can be valid for multiple entry. They will automatically consider you for multiple entry, however it’s good to mention it in your cover letter for PRTD application that you need multiple entries.

Hello Guys,

I just got my CoPR & Canadian Visa this week. I’m currently in USA, working on F1/OPT. I’m planning to do a soft-landing in Ontario this weekend, either by flight or by Car. I’m planning to come back in 2days & for the PR, I will give my friend’s address who stays in Canada, he will courier me once he gets it. I have few questions if you can answer them:

1. What all documents are needed to carry with you when you’re going there first time?
  2. How much time does the PR card take once applied?
  3. Is it wise to give Goods to follow list now itself?
  4. As I’m looking to go for 2 days, I will be hardly carrying any money as I have US credit cards, so will it work if I just show them my financial proof of US bank & tell them I’ll carry money/transfer with me once I’m moving permanently ?
  5. Also, can you provide me with list of things to complete once you land there for first time? like (PR Card application, SIN no., opening a bank account (which one though?)etc.)

Thank you everyone for helping each other out.

1. COPR, Passport, Proof of funds
  2. 2 months
  3. yes.
  4. Yes.
  5. PR Card application is automatic. You dont have to specifically do it. Get SIN no.
    Im trying to find more information on bank account as well.
1 Like

@prag I went with RBC newcomers package. RBC no-limit banking (no fee for first year) + RBC credit card. To avoid fees, change no-limit to day-to-day or something else later. You can provide your USA address as the mailing address and they will mail everything to that address - including the credit card. Just make sure you book a bank appointment in advance. You can also add RBC US bank account for cross border transfer.

3 Likes

Is it really 2 months for PR card? IRCC website says 45 days. Im planning to visit India after 2 months of landing in August. Is there a way if one wants to travel before PR card has arrived?

apply for PRTD. You can use it while you wait for PR card.

Thanks for your quick response. Can PRTD br applied while in Canada or it has to be applied from outside?

Thanks a lot! Although I’m seeing in some forums, that the officer at the Canadian border doesn’t allow you to apply for PR Card because she knows that you’re only here for 2 days etc.?

I would like to know on how to get this done. Should I just tell him/her that I’m going to lease an apartment with my friend who stays in Canada & eventually move everything once I’m done with quitting my job & that PR card is necessary for me.

Although I’m seeing in some forums, that the officer at the Canadian border doesn’t allow you to apply for PR Card because she knows that you’re only here for 2 days etc.?

Idk who on this forum said this (maybe they had a unique experience). As soon as your PR is confirmed by the officer you have the right to a PR card, it shouldn’t be dependent on how long you are staying there.

The officer usually does not ask you how long you are staying there, that’s totally your call. If they ask say “a few days”.

I would like to know on how to get this done. Should I just tell him/her that I’m going to lease an apartment with my friend who stays in Canada & eventually move everything once I’m done with quitting my job & that PR card is necessary for me.

You are overthinking this. Don’t say anything unless they ask. If asked, say you’re staying for a few days to prepare your eventual move to Canada.

Whatever address you give is the address they will send the PR card to!

Also, if for some reason you are unable to get a PR card, just come back to the US and apply for PRTD.

1 Like

Okay thank you very much.