IELTS Preparation

As far as I know there is no proof of immigration required (none exists). When registering you need to specify that you are taking this test for immigration proposes its a question on the registration form. This will get them to send you two copies of the TRF.

Its best to confirm with the country center for IELTS if you need to pay for this additional TRF.

http://idp.ieltscanadatest.com/test-results/getting-results/

1 Like

While this is a late reply for OP, Iā€™d like to chip in and say that http://ieltsliz.com/ was one of the best resources I used for IELTS preparation - highly recommend it to anyone whoā€™s serious about preparing for the IELTS, both from an immigration standpoint and otherwise.

3 Likes

If your English is good you donā€™t have to prepare much. However I would like to point out that IELTS is slightly tougher than TOEFL (if youā€™ve ever given it). The only thing you may need to practice is the speaking question where they will ask you some seemingly random question, e.g.: ā€œTell me a bit about your favorite sportspersonā€. Being a Sachin fan that wasnā€™t a problem for me, but still I needed to talk for the next 5 mins about his career etc.

The listening section should be easy as youā€™ve to listen to an audio once and answer some questions. The writing and reading sections are more challenging as youā€™ve to write an essay with a pencil (writing) and read a passage and answer questions (reading). The actual writing part was tough for me since Iā€™m pounding on the keyboard all day. And the reading part involved a lot of comprehension as well as re-reading the passage and answering the questions.

Iā€™m not trying to scare you or anything but donā€™t take it as lightly. Atleast do one practice exam and practice speaking with your friends.

2 Likes

I agree with Anshul, reading part is little tricky, and to get 7 band score, u need to solve 34/40 questions correctlyā€¦ for me reading was the toughestā€¦

I just gave my ielts last week. For me speaking was the toughest.
I thought i could ble on any topic but this one was bit difficult.
My topic was something along the lines of why do we think its necessary to teach kids politeness and be respectful of one another.
I could not come up with enough content to talk on that topic for 2 minutes. :slight_smile:

That IS a really hard topic :thinking:

This is my first time posting a message. I am planning to give IELTS exam shortly, thinking about planning to study or practice IELTS examination questions with the given list of links, Thanks for the list. Is there any more links additional to go through like any videos or any specific book, which will help to score better

Hereā€™s another thread about exam experiences:

I would definitely agree. Most of the times the candidate makes technical and unforced errors that affect the score- these can be avoided with practice and habitual good thumb of rules.

I just started my IELTS prepā€¦ as I am serious to start applying for Express Entry.

Thank you for sharing your info.

thank you for the link, will go through it

I live in Philadelphiaā€¦
I am planning to take the IELTS tooā€¦ There are only 2 centers in Philly that have the earliest date available for IELTS and that is 4/2018. This is strange, a date so far in advance. The nearest center to me that has the earliest date available(2/2018) is Pittsburghā€¦ when I say nearest its ONLY 5 hours driveā€¦ insaneā€¦ lol.
Newyork/NJ all have earliest dates available in Aprilā€¦
My question isā€¦ is it worth to wait till 4/2018 to get my IELTS taken in Philly? OR shall I aim for my IELTS as soon as possible? I guess I cannot submit my EE profile without IELTS scoreā€¦ Is having ECA a requirement for submitting EE? I dont even have my ECA yetā€¦ I have my masters degree from US and bachelors from Indiaā€¦ shall I wait for my ECA to be complete and then go for TOEFL? or both efforts in parallel?
Lastly, is it common to have IELTS dates so far advance in future? Does people from other parts of US have the same experience while scheduling their IELTS? And I shall go for General Training IELTS and not academic IELTS?

@anon25417004 @avj Hi ,Anshul,
any pointers to my question?

Hi,
I spoke to a friend yesterday who was also looking for an IELTS date and it seems people are giving IELTS like itā€™s going outta style! There are literally no dates available for months based on what she said ! I would recommend that if youā€™re in a hurry, just book the first available date wherever you get it, and fly there stay there and give the test.

Anshul

Thanks Anshul.
@avj @anon25417004 I am in the process of registering for IELTSā€¦ what shall I put in ā€œAdd Recognising Organization Detailsā€?
Here is a short description:
Please select any academic institutions/ government agencies / professional bodies / employers you would like your results sent to. Add your file/case number if known. If the organisation isnā€™t available within the list, please select ā€˜Othersā€™ from the list and type in their details below. Please note that organisations you list here may access your results before you have received them by mail. Please also note that Test Report Forms will not be sent to migration or education agents.

I also attached a sample image.

nm, they have mentioned it on the page:
Donā€™t ask for your language test results to be sent directly to us. Send us your results with your complete application. Keep your original test in a safe place as we may ask for it later.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/language-requirements/language-testing.html

1 Like

Why are you registering for TOEFL?

1 Like

Corrected my typo :slightly_smiling_face: I need some coffee.

2 Likes

For Listening section, do they provide for conversation transcript too or no?

I hope we donā€™t have to memorize the whole conversation.

If I remember correctly they play the relevant part and give you time to answer the relevant question, and so on.