Independent contractor vs PEO?

Did you get money in US USD account?
Or they wired money into Canadian USD account or CAD account directly?
If yes. Did you have to open US account under your incorporation name or you used existing personal named account?

Wise.com (earlier known as TransferWise) business account worked great for me. Client could do ACH transfer. No fees for them. And I could hold USD as long as I wanted to and transfer to CAD when needed.

Invoice frequency is up to you and client / contract.

Tax benefits youā€™ll need to clarify with your accountant.

Oh yeahā€¦ How can I forget my favorite transferwiseā€¦ So did you select country of registration as USA or Canada when you registered with wise business account?

Sorry for the late reply :slight_smile:

Country is Canada. TransferWise does require certain documents regarding your corporation and a business checking account with a Canadian bank also (I think).

thanks for late reply :smiley:

no probsā€¦ we were able to open account, but transfer wise just asked for driving license and nothing else because they asked if owner is 100% shareholder of company then they just verified the owner personal details using licenseā€¦ didnā€™t ask any document for corporationā€¦

not sure if they really asked you other documents or you might have forgotten nowā€¦

Hmmm, itā€™s best if you chat with TransferWise and see that it is setup correctly.

When I login, I see an option to switch between my personal account and corporate account.

Yeah it is correctā€¦ Because we see corporation name everywhereā€¦ and in personal details we see personal name also in the settingsā€¦ Also it says wise business accountā€¦

also we got the wise debit cardā€¦ it has incorporation name alsoā€¦

perhaps they changed the way for verifying incorporation in canada now in comparison to last year when you didā€¦

1 Like

Can you please share the name of your Peo?

Hi,
We are planning to move to Canada shortly on PR from US.

My spouseā€™s employer is in Canada as well but there is no much IT projects there. He is asking for remote option but employer is telling that since there is no legal entity there it would be difficult to pay him and other stuff.

The current team very much wants to keep him but they are not able to proceed further due to these issues.
Is there a way PEO can help in this scenario?
Also they just started his green card application and i140 stage has not yet been reached.
So if he works through Peo will his green card application have any impact?
Who will be his employer ? Is it the current company or peo?

@ntn Thanks for sharing your experience here. Would you be able to share the CPA info with me as well? (Moved to Canada as a PR recently and interested in pursuing the Incorporated Contractor path for working with US client)