List of documents on soft landing

1. They didn’t ask me that - I just said I am here to activate my PR and they took the docs. Perhaps others who were asked the question can advise on how to answer it if asked.
  2. I just filled out by item type on each line of the form: e.g. clothes was one line, toiletries was one line, shoes was one line, costume jewellery was one line etc. I also added cell phone on one line and personal laptop on one line.
  3. Should be fine to have that from what I have heard - I was not asked for any PoF
  4. I would say at least SIN and yes do bank account as well so that you can easily transfer funds when you move permanently
1 Like

Expanding on Q1 since I was asked explicitly. It’s best to state honestly what you are planning to do, but be ready to convince them to start PR card process.
In my case, the officer was a bit reluctant to apply for PR card when I mentioned I was moving at a later point. Had to explain that I was actively interviewing for jobs (which was true), and I intend to move as soon as I find a job.
There is a possibility that they don’t start PR card process. But that doesn’t affect your PR status. You’ll need a PRTD to re-enter.

1 Like

Thanks sun, appreciate the response.

1 Like

Thanks for the details, ashpdx.

Some people get asked whether they’re moving now or later, most don’t. Furthermore, whether or not officer will ask more questions depends on the individual officer. A safe answer is that you need to return and sort your affairs before moving, or that you’re planning to apply for jobs and come as soon as you find one. If you’ve already started the process of applying for jobs the answer should come out very confidently.

Most people don’t get asked for POF, but its highly advisable to carry the latest ones.

For the GA and GTF, again most people get it done during soft landing itself. I’ve only heard of one case where the officer asked them to do GTF later while moving; so what, do it then. In any case you won’t be paying duties as long as you do GTF before moving your stuff. Don’t add any food (anything edible at all) to the GTF. Also, don’t add mattresses.

Do SIN ( you need that while applying for jobs etc), and bank account (get a credit card, highly recommended). You will have your credit history in Canada started sooner, and will help you apply for additional credit cards/loans later.

If you open bank accounts while soft landing, are we supposed to pay any taxes later? Is Goods to follow list mandatory as we will be settling later?

You only need to pay/file taxes in Canada if you are deemed a tax resident (more than 183 days a year living here, and/or if you are earning money in Canada).

1 Like

All the comments are very helpful here!

If you are living in the USA and have a car with a lien holder. Can you drive this car for soft landing with the above documents and return within a day or two. Any other documents required? (Don’t have the title as the car is not paid off)

Thanks,
Ab

So despite you moving there now or later, that doesn’t effect anything? We have our COPR expiring on April 12th, but even if our PR status doesn’t get activated it doesn’t matter correct? Just want to make sure we land before COPR expires.
Thank you

Hello Abrosh, were you able to make your soft landing? I am planning to go in a week’s time and can use some help. If anyone on this forum has recently visited, please help me. Thanks!

Hi @AbRosh,
We are in the same situation. Want to do a soft-landing in our car that is not paid off and return to the US the same day. I have information that we cannot enter Canada with a car with a lienholder but my question is can we include the same car in the GTF list as we would be paying it in full before moving permanently to Canada?

Thank you!

Hi @piyushjain0509,
did you complete your soft landing ?