PR Landing Experience from US - June 2020

Hi,

I am planning to do soft landing tomorrow by crossing the border from Peace Bridge. This thread has been very helpful as I was able to gather lot of information. I have a quick question on GTF list, is this a list that I prepare in excel or is there a specific form I need to fill out? I have seen some references to form B4 but I am not able to find it. I only see form BSF186. Also can I just say XX boxes of clothing value CAD$XYZ, XX Boxes of kitchenware value CAD$ABC or do I need to be super specific in terms of describing clothes, number of spoons, plates, glasses etc.? Like the biggest items for me that will be in GTF will be TV, Laptop, Watches, Clothes.

Hi - did you create this list in excel or was this form BSF186? I am looking to create a list like this I am not able to find a specific form that I need to fill in.

Hi there!

We kept a printed excel sheet detailing each item along with Serial No if applicable and the market rate for it in Kijiji in 3 columns. In the BSF-186 form we classified them broadly as “Camera equipment”, “Kitchen Items”, “Personal Electronic Devices” etc. We don’t know if this is the right approach or not since they didnt even bother to see the document as we had no goods to follow :slight_smile:

Got it, this is helpful. I am going to go with summarized approach ( 10 boxes for clothing @ CAD$900 etc.) as I will mostly sell everything when I move there next year. I do not have car or anything big so should be fine. Right?

Yes that would work for things like clothes and kitchen utensils, over the counter medicines etc. We did the same. We only listed each electronic items individually which had a trackable serial number

Hi,
Thanks for your responses. I have my PPR on March 24th, passport delivered March 25th and still no response. Is the Ottawa VO closed? That’s what customer service said yesterday? Is it true? How all these COPR got issued? Are they issuing COPR only for PPR approved until March 18th? When will they reopen? Or there is something else that I do not know? Are there people whose PPR issued after March 18th and got their COPR? Any information would be helpful, thanks To you all.

Hello,

I have to complete my soft landing in the next one month. I’m planning to come
Back to the United States immediately. How does the process work after I land in Canada?

1. Is PR processed in airport?
  2. Can I give a US address for receiving PR and take the next flight back home ?
  3. What documents do we need to show at the airport for PR?
  4. I currently have all my money in robinhood for day trading, will it be an issue if I transfer it back in the bank And show documents from Robinhood as proof ?

Hi

I got my flight changed, now the flight will halt at calgary from USA so do I need to do my Immigration at Calgary? Do they accept Copr this days?

Hi Ria,

Have you completed your landing? Could you please share your experience? We have a plan to do soft landing by road soon too. Thanks.

Hi Hanna,

Yes ,we just crossed the border through Ambassador Bridge yesterday.Now we are in quarantine for 14 days in Mississauga.Landing experience was nice but we were asked to come out of the car and go to the immigration office for documentations. Border officers were also nice ,they asked us about goods to follow list and our permanent address to send the PR card.
Everyone was maintaining proper safety measures at the office and it was pretty empty when we landed .
I would just like to say make sure you have all the goods to follow list ready and every information is handy ,then the landing procedure will be pretty fast otherwise it will take some time.

1 Like

Hi Ria,

Big congratulations on becoming PR!

If you don’t mind, a couple of questions about entering Canada for confirmation of PR after the updated travel guidelines on July 10th,

• Are you planning to return back to US after quarantine or did you move permanently?
  • Did CBSA officers ask you for settlement plans such as living arrangements post quarantine?

Look forward to your inputs as I am scheduled to travel on August 2nd, quarantine and come back to US after that.

Hi Ria,
Congrats to you and your family as Canadian PRs!
One more question. Did you tell them that you do soft landing?
Thanks a lot!

@alan333 & @Hanna,

Actually we moved permanently so we didn’t mention anything about soft landing to the immigration officers, But yes, we were being asked almost two times if we are just here for landing & will move back to the US or we have a quarantine plan in Canada.
And one more thing, we came to know about the new travel guidelines (10th July) once we were done with the landing procedure and already in Canada, so I am not sure it will going to affect new travelers.

Anyways do not worry, everything will go smoothly just stay safe!
I wish both of you all the best for the upcoming landings.

Hello Folks!
I am super confused with the landing situation during the pandemic.

I have my COPR and planning to travel next
to Vancouver next month.

I dont mind staying there for 14 days on Quarentine or few months.

1. Can i move back to US after receiving my PR card after 100 days?

2. My cousin lives there. She will mail my PR card after receiving it. Can i move back to US after my 14 days quarantine or 1 month? I will have detailed plan of quarantine.

3. Will i receive a call from IRCC or fined for something if i move back after a month(after quarentine)

4. IRCC webpage mentions " not a right time to travel- to complete ur PR". Will i be turned around?

5. Is the Airport Landing appointment offices open? Can i get my COPR stamped & SIN processed at the Airport?

@avj PLEASE HELP :frowning:

My experience on going to Canada and coming back to US the same day through the land border at Sault Ste marie, Ontario. We are a family of 5. I drove 4hr:30mins to take a big risk of going to the border and returning the same day, knowing that it was almost impossible. I had read a lot about border officers not allowing this type of arrangement but we were lucky.

The officers at this border were extremely nice to us. The officer at the boot asked if we were coming to Canada permanently. I told him my plan was to come in, sign my papers, and return immediately. He then asked why we were not moving permanently? I said, we had the plan of moving permanently last month but I couldn’t complete my Ph.D research due to the pandemic. He asked, when do you plan to move permanently? I replied, December. He did not object! He collected our papers and told us to stay in the car. Later, he said we should come to the office to sign our documents. All the officers are super nice. We signed our documents and one of them showed us the way back to US. I hope this information helps someone.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience ,what port of entry you went to and I read online you need to bring some documents such as marriage certificates , degrees , employee letters, do we need those? If so we need to bring the originals ? If you can provide what documents needed and you took with you, it will be great , thanks

I went through Sault Ste. Marie.

You do not need marriage certificate etc to pass through the border. All you need are copr, international passport, and list and cost of items you’re bringing with you.

Guys we are planning to finally land(we have our PR cards last year) - I had a question regarding the quarantine plan for 15 days. We have rented a detached house and our friends have taken the keys and set up the house food/water basic utensils. My question is regarding going from the airport to the house -is taxi or uber an acceptable mode of transport given we are flying from SFO and are required to self isolate. Are the CBP authorities allowing travellers from US (who must undergo mandatory quarantine) to take taxis or uber from the airport to their final destination of quarantine? Or we are required to arrange rental car ? Please guide.

Uber/Lyft are allowed. One cannot sit next to the driver. So, if more than 2 people, go for uber/lyft XL.

1 Like