Private Health Insurance in Canada

Hi All,

We are considering moving to Canada sometime next year.I read somewhere that new immigrants are not covered by the government insurance for 3 months.Is that true?If yes, can someone plz post links or quotes for private insurance?Also as dental ,eye care and medicines are not covered by government insurance, where can I explore private insurance quotes for them? or does the employer provide these?

Thank you!

1 Like

I can speak about Ontario. You will get your health insurance after 3 months. You can find reasonable private health insurance from Sun Life or Manulife.

In the Quebec system you will be covered by the public RAMQ (Regie de l’assurance maladie du Quebec) three months from the day you apply, but that’s three “calendar” months, not 90 days. So if you applied June 29th, for example, it would come into force September 1st.
Government also covers a portion of your prescription pharmaceutical costs, but that creates a charge of roughly $200 {Approximate amount - it’s constantly changing with government policy} on your provincial income tax return at the end of the year. Yes, Quebec also has a provincial income tax.
Insurance for the non-covered items is normally insured by most employers and if you are covered by a private plan government waives the $200 annual fee on your income tax return for both you and your spouse if your spouse is also on your company plan.
As Canadainland said, Sun LIke or Manulife are two good sources if your company doesn’t carry health insurance, but speak with your bank when you open a personal bank account, most banks are happy to peddle health insurance whilst opening an account.

1 Like

OHIP is waiving the current 3-month waiting period in current situation:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

As of March 19, 2020 we are waiving the three-month waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage and are uninsured, the province will fund the cost of COVID-19 services.

Despite this, if you want health insurance, I have had good experience with RSA.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you!