Random Thoughts and Insights

thanks @anon25417004, I am moving from Texas, primarily backend engineer (distributed systems, APIs, big data etc), also comfortable doing full stack development. I have the option of working remotely for my employer but my wife would need to find a job (data science). In the long term would like to join an early stage startup or start something of my own. Nice to have a university accessible, I like to take graduate classes from time to time. Waterloo is kind of unique since it felt like a small place but with some really good tech jobs (correct me if I am wrong), not as much as Toronto I think but the houses are cheaper. I looked at Communitech’s website and it felt like there is an ecosystem for startups going on over there. Looking for a house with a yard (we have a large dog) and kid friendly neighborhood (good daycare). Would be nice to know where the hotspots for tech jobs are in and around Toronto. Trying to figure out a good neighborhood with the right balance of housing prices and commute and other things on the wish list.

I agree with you in terms of what you said about Waterloo. In Toronto a lot of the startups are in core downtown around Queen and Spadina and Queen and University. To have the lifestyle you described and still be close to work and maybe college (UofT) you would pick either Mid Town, West Side or Lesliville. I’m sure there are more but these come to mind at the moment. The city of Toronto has a lot of houses in the downtown area that you can rent (or buy) with yards and alley ways (kids play there in the summer) in the backs. Most of these neighbourhoods have amazing schools and lots of great parks. The one thing that beats the number of people with kids here is people with dogs. When I take my kids to the part the dog park next door is way more happing.

If I were you I’d rent and get a feel of the place before I buy but on the whole I don’t think you can go wrong with Toronto or Waterloo. In Waterloo you probably do want to be close to the university and downtown.

2 Likes

thanks again @anon25417004 for that insightful response!