Soft Landing Questions(From US)

• Not needed to provide an address as soon as you land. You can call up CIC once you have an address and get your card delivered there.
  • Soft landing not an issue.
  • Recommended to have docs with you for proof of funds. From my experience they do not verify it during landing, but… your mileage may vary.
  • PRTD takes time (weeks or even months depending on where you apply). If you can cross the border or in your own/rental car, you can use your COPR to complete entry with the Canadian Border Officers.

Search the forums, you can find a lot of info on these topics.

Hi Guys,

I am flying this week to Toronto for my soft landing and planning to return to the US in a day. My STEM OPT is valid till June but my F1 expired last year. I am working full time but I do not have H1-B yet. I am going to try and use AVR to re-enter the US. Should I anticipate any problems at immigration on my return?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

I have a question pertaining to the CBSA officer not filing your PR at your time of landing. You state that "I again asked her if there was anyway she could process my PR Card (wanted to try my luck) since I would most likely do a landing after my CoPR expires.
What ever happened after you came back to permanently land? Was your COPR expired?
I am planning to do a very similar thing you did with crossing at the border, but not permanently moving at the time, but my COPR will be expired. Does that matter once you’ve processed everything with them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I hope youre enjoying Canada!

Hey there,

When you did your soft landing, you obviously went before your COPR expired ? So despite them not completing your PR status, did that matter? Did you do your permanent landing after COPR expiration date? Were you given a number/ code to update IRCC in regard to your PR status?
Thank you for all your help!
Leah

Hi Guys
Does anybody know if anybody can still enter Canada from the border from US by car?
Can we still take our personal car or do we need to take a rental car if somebody wants to go for a month there?
or Can we still import our car in current situation if we want to move permanently there?

note: This is not for soft landing. The person already landed last year and has PR card already.

Hey Guys,
Today on 30th march, I did my PR landing in Vancouver although the port of entry was Calgary. I tried to go to Calgary but flights got cancelled. The airlines let me in when they swiped my passport (It had one time entry visa stamp). Travelers need eTA docs otherwise. So, those who can get a flight which doesn’t get cancelled can finish the process.
Process was smooth. I had prepared my comprehensive GTF and GA lists separately with pictures, Sl # etc. They were not interested in my Proof of Funds though.
I do have to be in quarantine for the next 14 days or I could be fined up-to 1 million CAD. Booked an airbnb for that purpose. That’s one thing you need to do if you are traveling right now. The flight was empty. 5-6 passengers all together. Was wearing gloves + masks all the times.

1 Like

Congrts… Thanks for update… Why did you say PR landing in “Vancouver” ?
You landed in Calgary so you completed landing process in Calgary airport… Isn’t it

Are you going back to US after 14 days or how many days?
Good thing you told me about airbnb… I was thinking if hotels are available these days if somebody travels to Canada.

No. I landed in Vancouver. I couldn’t find a flight to Calgary and my landing expiry was 4th April. Had to land wherever I could or would have lost all that work.
Will go to Calgary from here first. But right now have to be in quarantine for 14 days

1 Like

Oh Ok… thanks… read it again properly…
Why is Calgary Port of entry?
Have you taken provincial nomination?

No. Express entry. I just prefer the underdog cities. :joy:

2 Likes

How are you feeling now after travelling…

How did you book airbnb? Did you create account on airbnb.ca or airbnb.com?
When I am trying to book then people are asking me from where I am travelling or if I travelled outside in last 30 days…

Hey! I would like to know this as well. Did you find out?

Thanks!

I booked from US. No one asked me any of the questions.
I am feeling bored coz I have to be in mandatory quarantine. Otherwise, I am feeling great. I am taking all precaution - Gloves, Hand Wash, Masks etc when traveling and when getting my food from Uber Eats delivery.

1 Like

I thought you are not allowed to travel during quarantine?
When are you planning to return to US? Is it by land?

Waiting for your re-entry experience …

BTW, thanks for posting.

Yup. I am not traveling. I just came here and then have to be in mandatory quarantine for 14 days. Can’t go out, can’t travel till 14 days are over. But I am happy coz I finished my PR processing.

2 Likes

I was about to ask what happened and if everything was going good as you did not reply from few days… Good you are feeling good after many days too…

btw… Did they do any testing or special checkup on the airport?

Also, you should try to avoid to go near uber eats drivers :slight_smile:
Is airbnb you got a totally separated unit/building or multi-unit building or a basement with owner on top floor? Just asking to understand how the airbnb owner did not bother with somebody coming from US :stuck_out_tongue:

Spouse returning to the US with H4 Visa after PR Soft landing:

Folks- I heard few people had hard time entering the US after doing their soft landing on H4 Visa
(She is the only PR applicant)

My Question:

1. My wife applied for Canada PR and got her COPR a few weeks back. It is expiring April 2021. Her plan does soft landing in Vancouver and return to the US in a few days. Our friend will mail the PR card to our US Address.

But DO YOU THINK SHE WILL HAVE ANY ISSUES AT THE US HOMELAND SECURITY?

1. I heard few people had issues while returing to US on Valid H4 visa. Officer asked them about why returning to the US while having Canada PR.

2. Officer also mentioned, " H4 visa is for dependent/spouse to stay with Primary H1-b holder but now you have Canada PR".

3. Any similar situations faced by anyone? Please help.

4. What should my spouse answer if the same question asked by the US officer?

5. Any spouses with H4 did Canada PR soft landing & returned to the US? What were the questions asked at US Officer on the return to the US?

Please help help!

Hello there,
I do not know of any cases related to PR applicants. I have a PR card and had no issues while returning to US on H4 visa. No questions asked. They validated my visa stamp alone and welcomed me back!

Regards,
Appy

Thanks Appy. Tha ks good to hear.

Hi Appy,

Thanks for sharing that. Can you let me know what date was this and whether you traveled by air or land back to US?

Thanks in advance!