Soft Landing Questions(From US)

HI Prag. what are the timings for Service Canada at Toronto airport ? And Landing can be done any day /any time of the week. right ?

Iā€™m not sure about the timing but I reached the airport around 11am on Thursday. I didnā€™t want to waste my trip so I planned to go on a weekday.

You can land any time of day at the airport afaik (would be silly to give you a visa to enter the country and then tell you you canā€™t land when you use it), but the Service Canada in the airport is only open on weekdays. I think their hours run later in the day (to like 8 or 10pm), though. Regular Service Canada offices outside the airport are usually 8-4 or 8:30-4:30. I hit up the local Service Canada for my SIN the Monday after I landed since I landed on a Saturday. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, I have a urgent question if anyone can help me out. I just completed my PR Landing last Thursday & I came back to US in 3 days. My plan was to resign from work here in US, go to India for few weeks & then land back in Canada when I get my PR card.

However, I have now got an Interview call for a job position in Canada. I know there are always options of doing the interview on skype etc, but I would still like to find a way to go to Canada for an onsite interview. I searched for options online & it says you need a PRTD(may take around a month to get one) to go back to Canada by air, train or bus. But what if I go to Canada by road, say I take a rental car or if my friend would drop me? Would I still need a PRTD?

1 Like

If you enter Canada in a private vehicle from the US, you can present your CoPR and passport as evidence of your status in Canada and explain that you havenā€™t received your PR card yet. It isnā€™t explicitly laid out in the text, but a CoPR does serve as ā€œproof of permanent residence.ā€ For everything else, though, as you said, youā€™d need a PRTD.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

3 Likes

Hi- it says if you are driving commercial vehicle then a person would need PR card or PRTD.
Iā€™m planning to drive Uhaul rental truck and tow my car.
Would that be considered as commercial vehicle ? I will only have my COPR on me.

My PR got approved after I applied from the US; am waiting for my passport to be stamped. I have few questions:

1. I heard from my friend that both the primary and the dependent should be present during the first landing. Is that true?

2. I am thinking to enter Canada, Vancouver, during the first week of May for about 2 to 3 days and then return back to the US. What if the officer donā€™t apply my PR card; is it possible to create SIN without PR?

3. After I leave Canada, do I need PRTD to enter Canada again via road or will CoPR form suffice? I will bring all the stuffs with me at this point of time via UHaul.

Hello everyone,
I am new to the group and I have some questions. kindly take a look.
Currently in US on H1B . Planning a soft/first landing in first week of May 2019, and then come back to US in 4-5 days.

1. My previous VISA and I94 was valid untill September 2018. Since then, my VISA has been extended (till 2022).
    The new extension notice (I797A) has a new I94. Does this mean that the I94 has also been renewed ?
  2. If YES, then am I eligible for Automatic VISA re-validation ?? I donā€™t want to go thru the VISA stamping process in Canada, plan to get it done in India.

Kindly answer.

Yes, You can use AVR if you have approved I797 along with attachd I-94

1 Like

Yes, your case satisfies AVRā€™s criteria.

1 Like

Thank you for ur replies. I confirmed with US CBP that I qualify for AVRā€¦
I still have some questions for everyone,
Is it safe to go for AVR or should we go for stamping ? How many of you all have taken this option?
Kindly let me know , thanks

HI. what form of money do Canadian banks accept. Should I just take cash in USD and just give it to them and the will have no issues in opening an account ?
I bank with wells fargo and Bofa here in US. Or should I take travelers check OR bank draft. Iā€™m so confused. And how much money do we need to open a checking account there and to get secured/unsecured credit card. what is the most convenient way to open account in canada. Thanks

Ps. : Iā€™m planning to visit these 4 banks during my soft landing and will compare the plans. TD, BMO, RBC and Scotia and someone also suggested tangerine

I did not open an account while was i there. I dont think its that crucial. Cash in USD should be acceptable. Check out individual bank websites for their requirements.

You donā€™t need any money to open a bank account. You can wire transfer money from your US bank to Canada. You can also apply for a credit card while you are at the bank.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

What is the best way to take advantage of AVR while re-entering USA, flight or by road ?
Which one is less risky ? Should we take a flight back into US or drive back ?

Kindly share ur experiences/ opinions ?
Thank you

Hi. How did you confirm with US CBP - phone? email? I am going to use AVR in June end for soft landing and back from Detroit-Windsor.

Hi @Prag,

Did you eventually travel to Canada with out PR card or PRTD ?
Did just COPR work when you travelled by road?

I am in a exact situation now and would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Thanks

Hello @dskhokhar

I am also planning to do Uhaul, and am in exact situation with just the COPR.
Is UHAul treated as a commerical vehicle or personal?
Could you share your experience if you went via this route.

Thanks

Hi All,

We are a family of three and I am the main applicant. Wondering if I can go alone for soft landing and my family could go later to complete the process? Is it ok?

Any concerns with this approach?

Yes the primary applicant can do the landing before dependent applicants.