Soft Landing Questions(From US)

Settlers (New PRs) are exempt from restrictions on bringing in used mattresses to Canada.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d9/d9-1-7-eng.html

Thanks @g.rajtharun. Looking forward to hearing your experience.

@Zondor Thank you for your detailed explanation. When you say you did crossing, did you drive or walk through not sure of that part? Are there any alternatives for those who don’t drive to go by land through any of the borders? looking for alternatives if i don’t want to fly.

@Msmg I did drive across the border. However, I met a few people who mentioned that they crossed the border near Peace bridge (Fort Erie) by foot and had no issues.

I would think its pretty much the same process for anyone irrespective of the mode of transport. However, keep in mind about flagpoling. Flagpoling is done by people who live in Canada coming into US and returning back immediately to activate their PR or change of status (Study to work, etc). If the CBSA officer asks you whether you are flagpoling, say no and tell them that you are doing an initial landing to activate your PR.

@Zondor Thank you! are there specific days of the week that they work or is it possible to do this even on weekends?

Thanks for your detailed description. I wanted to ask about this particular detail about “The officer mentioned you cannot apply for PR card”. Is this for the card to be mailed? So there is also an alternate process where we don’t require to provide a Canadian mailing address and still complete the landing?

We can claim the PR card once we get there? The only reason I ask is because I thought the only way to get the PR card was by providing a mailing address where they can ship the card locally?

Appreciate your response. Congrats on getting the PR!

Cheers,
Appy

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Congrats on your PR!
I had a question for you around your immigration process? So between June 2018 (Your F1 expiry) and Oct 2018 were you on a cap gap EAD? Did the officer ask about the cap gap time or just giving the EAD card or I-20 suffice?
One of my friends in a similar situation and was wondering the CBP would ask question the cap gap time as the expiry visa and H1 start date has a gap of 4 months.

Appreciate your response!

Regards,
Appy

@appy22 Although I had a Canadian mailing address, I was told that they wouldn’t process the PR card then (Since I answered no when asked if I was moving permanently that day).

From my experience and understanding, even if you do not have a Canadian mailing address at the time of initial landing, permanent residency will be activated without the PR Card. PR card can then be applied at a future date (permanent move).

However, for the majority of applicants, the PR card is being processed at the time of landing even if not moving permanently on the day of landing(with a Canadian mailing address of a friend/cousin though). I guess it all depends on who your immigration officer is.

1 Like

Interesting! Yeah, The reason I asked was because I did not read about anyone who hadn’t got their PR card processed on the same day with a Canadian address.
I am assuming, in such cases we would still apply once we permanently move and wait for the same 6-8 weeks to get the card.
Also, meanwhile what would be the identification that you have a PR? Would you be able to travel to canada multiple times before move( Since PRTD just gives 1 time option)?
I will also probably call the Canadian authorities just clarifying this scenario before completing our landing procedure before June end.
Appreciate your response!

Regards,
Appy

My opt expired in July 2017 and I was actually on CPT for 1 year form Oct 2017 to Sept 2018. Officer did not ask anything about this. She just took my i797 and asked where i work.etc nothing about my school.

1 Like

@appy22
A proof of landing (signed by the immigration officer) will be attached to your passport. This document can also be used for entry via road. PRTD is a visa that is usually given for a validity of a year but can be used for multiple entries (This is what I have been told at the CBSA).

2 Likes

Update: I called the IRCC and was able to update the Canadian mailing address, was told that they would process the application for PR card and mail out when ready (approx processing time is 20 days currently). I was also able to lookup and link the application for PR card to my GC key profile.

**I had to call around 7-8 times and waited for about 20 mins before connecting to an agent.

3 Likes

Great detailed info! What was your answer when asked “purpose of visit to Canada”? I will also be using AVR on the Windsor border by road and driving by my own car (financed car, not leased). Thanks.

I told them that i received PR and needed to landing.

1 Like

Thanks for your response! Appreciate it!

Thanks much for your response! Appreciate it!

Hi all,

I have read through this thread and most people who are moving to Canada from USA have been in either a work visa or a student visa.

I will be moving to Canada in 1st week of August. I am an Indian resident and my visa has been issued in India. I plan to visit USA in mid July to see my sister and go to Canada from there. As far as I know and have read online, there is no mandate that you have to enter Canada with a PR from your country of residence only. But I just want to cover my bases and so would like just to know that I can come to USA on a B1/B2 visa in mid July and then go to Canada in early August and complete my immigration formalities.

Would be great if someone would help me out with this. Thanks in advance!

you should be fine, Canada does not care what your status in US is.

@movupnorth Great, thank you :slight_smile:

@Everyone,

Yesterday (5/23/2019), I did my soft landing from Peace Bridge, NY. The process was quick, did not take me more than 50 minutes. However, the immigration officer did not apply for my PR card as she said that I can apply for my PR Card only after move permanently to Canada. I was handed a PR form and was told to fill it up and submit it when I move here permanently.

Thanks