Soft Landing via Road

Thanks. Just to make sure, only CoPR & nothing else needed to go by road? Also, if I do this, do I need to re-apply for my PR Card?

Yes, only COPR is needed. After landing your PR card is in process.
Now, you can just show COPR as proof and enter the country.

Great! Thanks a lot!

Does Windsor Canada service center allow landing on all days??

Thanks for this info Aparna.
Which day of the week did you go there? Do you know if there are specific days in a week that we can land via Peace bridge or any day is fine?
Also, did you open a Bank account in Canada?

Hi @swati04,

We went on a Friday and returned to US on a Saturday. It was a very tight schedule for us so didn’t open the bank account yet. Will be doing so when we move there permanently.

@Prag make sure you are headed back via road. COPR is only valid for reentry when you reenter via road, not via air. Good luck with your interview!!

2 Likes

I opened a bank acc as well as applied for cc . Seriously doubt if cc will be approved .

Thanks for your reply Aparna.
I completed my landing successfully at Peace Bridge on Sunday evening and came back to US on Monday afternoon after getting SIN and opening our bank account.
We drove our car and there was absolutely no issue with that.
To share my experience, the landing process did take a little longer for us (close to 2 hours). The officer took our passports immediately as we entered the CBSA building but did not call us for another hour even though there were hardly any people. I assume evening was their shift change time and they waited for another officer to come in and help us complete the process.
We went to apply for SIN on Monday morning and it took us like 15 mins.
I had taken appointment(strongly recommend) at TD Bank to open our account and apply for credit card. It took us an hour for everything and get debit card as well.
I used AVR to enter in US as my visa had expired but I was carrying a valid i797. It went very smooth, I did not even have to get out of car.

1 Like

do you know if your credit card got approved?
also what documents were required for credit card. I applied for RBC but don’t have a confirmed decision yet.

Hey… yes my credit card was approved. TD bank has an offer where they give a minimum limit cc to new comers. I only provided my passport and SIN.

That’s great, which address did you provide for delivery of credit card ? Us or Canadian

Hello @gondekar.aparna,
Thank you for the details you have provided. We have a similar scenario where we want to move our Goods to follow later. Is there a time limit by which we need to move the goods to follow into Canada? Meaning if we softland in May, does it say by any time frame by which we can move our belongings or is there no such specification?
Thanks

no, there is no such time limit, based on what I have read on CBSA website. I will also have a similar situation.

thank you. Yes, i also did not find anything specific either. But, wanted to be sure.
Thanks

Hi G3N,

Sorry for the delay in response. No there is no such time frame, but whenever you do - make sure you have the original goods to follow list with it. The one they stamped at the time of your first landing

Thank you @gondekar.aparna

Everyone,

Tomorrow, I am planning to do a soft landing from Peace Bridge, NY. Even though , I am not planning to transfer any of my luggage. Do I still need to fill out the form BSF -186?

I am clear with the fact that BSG-186 A (Goods to follow ) needs to filled at the time of soft landing even though one is planning to settle permanently later.

Any thoughts/advise on BSF-186?

Hi all. Did soft landing today at Windsor from Ambassador Bridge by road.

Landing
Smooth quick process on the Canadian side. No queue. Border officer asked a number of questions but didn’t take down Canadian address to mail PR card. She said I can update the address when I permanently move but did not tell me about the option of PRTD or updating the address through the online form/call center. Does anyone in the forum know at what point can the online form PR address update be done successfully - a week? By the way, the goods to follow list was accepted, not even looked at.

Since I drove in my own car and will be importing the car, she asked me why I did not import the car to Canada right now and I replied that didn’t know about it. She explained how the car must be imported next time traveling in it to Canada or else use a rental and this I had never heard of before.

Return to US - AVR
Initially the booth officer was confused and took a while to figure out what to do with me since I asked for AVR and had 3 I797s from 3 employers so then I had to go in to secondary inspection where my fingerprints and photo was taken and then a new paper I94 using my I797 was given and the online I94 was also updated. The officer told to use the paper I94 stapled in the passport next time for AVR by road.

1 Like

Glad it went smoothly! I suppose you have 180 days to update your address online after your landing procedure.

I think this is the link but do confirm once again with others.
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=coanotify

Thanks
Appy

1 Like