Community

Study Masters or Try again

Hi Guys,
I am currently on F1 status valid till September 2019. My current company filed H1B petition but unfortunately, it didn’t pick in the lottery. Previously, I gave IELTS general test but the scores weren’t as expected. As my visa is going to expire soon, should I try to get an admit into Canadian University or try for PR? My only concern is will I get the visa after all having a masters degree from the US?

You mentioned that your IELTS scores were not as expected and I am assuming that you haven’t even begun with your ECA for the Master’s Degree that you have. For PR, you might have to give the IELTS again (based on what your current scores are) and get your degree evaluated. This will take time. And then once you apply to get in the EE pool, you might have to wait a while to get an invite and then some more waiting for the entire process to actually complete. This will not happen by September 2019.

If you are planning on getting an admit in a Canadian university, I don’t know what the process is. If it is a good university and if they have a process similar to the good US universities, you already know that their process for the Fall semester admissions must have already completed. Unless you can find a university where they are still admitting for the Fall semester, you can’t really get into a Canadian university for the Fall semester.

I don’t mean to disappoint you but I have shared my practical thoughts on your dilemma. You might have to leave US and move back to your home country for a while until you sort out either your admission in Canada or your PR.