URGENT Corona Virus Impact on Landing

Hey everyone,

I am contemplating on making a soft landing as my CoPR expires in a month. I have read through the forum in multiple threads, but I have a couple of specific questions:

1. Since I do not know anyone, what would be the best way to mandatorily quarantine for 14 days? Would Airbnb be a good choice?
  2. Is SIN a requirement during soft landing? If not, when can/should it be done?
  3. Has anyone encountered a case of being denied entries to Canada or the US in the past couple of weeks?

Your thoughts and pointers will be helpful in making a crucial decision. Thank you.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks @ak45
If your flight doesn’t get cancelled and you are running out of time, book an Airbnb and land somewhere. Airbnb if you need a kitchen, otherwise hotel. Keep in mind that you can’t go for groceries either. So plan to pack on some.

You can’t go for SIN because you have to be in 14 day quarantine as soon as you leave the airport. After 14 days you can go and apply.

Going to apply for SIN asap is a sure fire way to get you in jail/fined since border patrol will know about it asap.
I am in mandatory quarantine for 14 days. After that, I might apply for SIN

I am yet to go back to US. Will update when m there.

@sp2410, firstly, congrats on the landing and officially becoming a PR! Thank you for responding and sharing your thoughts.

A few folks mentioned that public transport should not be taken during the quarantine period. Do you suggest taking an Uber/Lyft to get to the Airbnb from the airport?

Also, could you please confirm the mandatory paperwork that’s required at the time of soft landing? As far as I know, GTF is something that’s not required. Your suggestions will be helpful.

How are you feeling now after travelling…

How did you book airbnb? Did you create account on airbnb.ca or airbnb.com?
When I am trying to book then people are asking me from where I am travelling or if I travelled outside in last 30 days…

Hi All,

I am planning on moving to Canada on May end from the US via land. My COPR was approved back in Jan so I’m in the exempt list. I would really be grateful if I could learn from experience from people who have had their COPR before March 18 and crossed using peace bridge or other Land entry points

(A little background, I was supposed to fly to Toronto from Pittsburgh on March 19 but they closed the border before I could leave and only a week layer granted the March 18 COPR exemption. Meanwhile I had to withdraw my resignation from my job with an agreement that I’ll work there till may end hence can’t travel earlier than that and can’t do soft landing as I’m at the end of my 6 years h1b.)

How was your landing experience after the exemption? How are you managing food wise in your AirBnb for the 14 day mandatory self-isolation? Any other advice I should take care of? I intend to rent a car and cross peace bridge on May 30. Any help is appreciated.

Anyone had any experience with Soft landing after the travel ban was announced? I’m planning enter by road this month. But would like to know other’s experience. I believe entering Canada may not be a problem (from IRCC website). But not sure about entering back into US.

TIA

Hi everyone,

I also have the same question. I am thinking of biting the bullet and do a soft landing by road.

Me and my wife are on H1B currently. Our CoPR is valid till June but due to some personal reasons, we would like to get the landing out of the way.
We are planning to enter Canada, do the paperwork and then come right back to US. I am not interested in filing for SIN or opening a bank account at this time since we can do that later as well.

2 questions -

• Do we have to self quarantine in Canada? I don’t mind doing that once we are back in US.
  • Is there any problem in entering back in the US due to Corona?
1 Like

yes, you need to self quarantine for 14 days.
AND
the border is open for essential travel by mutual agreement between the 2 nations.

Are we allowed to enter back US after 14 days on H1/H4 by road ? Can you please point me to any official gov link?

Thanks for the quick reply. I am still not sure about my doubts -

• Do I have to self quarantine IN CANADA even though I just take a U-turn and return back to US or can I self-quarantine after coming back to US?
  • Will travel for H1b worker (not job related) considered as essential when I attempt to return to US?

@karthik89 @rishi.varun @usa2can
Yes they ask to self isolate for 14 days in Canada once you reach there at home or destination.
Another question is if you can drive US plated car there now or not?

They are doing temporary import of car for PR and citizen even if they go for few weeks…
If they do temporary import, then you cannot drive car anywhere. It has to be used only from border to destination and then destination to US on return. Temporarily for 60days which can change as per situation.
I called CBSA phone line, and asked what if i have to come back after 1month or 2month… then do i still need to temporary import. Then she said the officer discretion applies, and it might not be considered an essential travel and he may decline you entry…

Hi Everyone,
My US Visa has expired (application for extension was denied, so even I-94 is expired, initially I got an RFE and later the response to the RFE was denied) which has made me without status in the US.
I have a Canadian work Visa and was planning to come there. However, before I could fly India went on lockdown.
Now my concern is that if I fly to Canada and for some reason I am denied entry(worst case scenario), what would be the process.
I have read that normally I would be flown back to the place I came from (US), but right now I will not be admissible in the US (because of expired Visa).
Will I be allowed to stay in Canada till India opens its borders and then I can fly back to India ?

1 Like

Is your company giving job there now? or its old work visa?
if its current work visa to continue work in Canada then why will they deny you entry…

worst case scenario if you don’t want to take that risk… apply for change of status to visitor visa in usa… and continue for 10-20 days more in usa…

Hi srhere,
It is an old work visa (6 months old), I haven’t traveled to Canada to get the work permit though.
There is a very low probability of the denial of Visa but I want to confirm what would have happen if it does get denied.
If I change the status to visitor Visa in US then I will be taken out of the US payroll and that (being on US payroll) seems to be a requirement for my Canada Visa (transfer from US payroll to Canada payroll). Being out of US payroll will increase the chances of denial of entry into Canada.
So I want to travel to Canada before I go off from US payroll.

Temporary foreign workers, some international students and approved permanent residents who haven’t yet landed are now able to enter Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

Note that when someone says “landing appointments” it usually means that you’re an inland applicant who has to give an “interview” within Canada to “land”. This is different that if you’re outland and have a PR visa and CoPR and can land anytime you want without appointment.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

Situation on the ground:

Note that most government offices, anything that is non-essential (gyms, movie theatres, dine-in places) have closed. Schools etc have closed.

Service Canada centres have closed are are prioritizing employment insurance/elderly services/applications over SIN or citizenship applications etc. Unless it’s urgent you can’t even apply for a SIN.

You may be able to open a bank account online (e.g. TD will let you open one and you only need to go in to verify your documents to activate it).

Most stores have reduced their working hours and implemented a quota for how many people can enter a store at a time so there are small lines outside most stores.

Most online shopping/deliveries are pretty backed up so expect delays in most things. As expected, toilet paper, hand sanitizers, face masks, gloves etc are non-existent in stores. However, everything else is pretty much stacked and full so the supply chain situation is not as bad as some media had portrayed during March.

The good news is that IRCC has taken all of this into consideration and covid-19 will not negatively affect your application even if some things are delayed from your side.

Note however that you are expected to self-isolate yourself for 14 days after you travel; so unless you’re prepared to hunker down for two weeks somewhere, it would be advisable to not land (assuming your PR visa validity allows you to land later; and if not, IRCC may extend it given the extenuating circumstances).

Thanks avj,
I don’t have a PR, I only have a work visa and I need to land to get the work permit.
My concern is that if for some reason Canada denies my entry then will they let me stay till India opens up or will they instead deport me to US where I don’t have any status.

Go through the links I posted: it says that If you have a work/studies commitment and need a visa for that you can still enter Canada (but will have to self isolate for 14 days). It’s best to confirm this as well with a web form so you have a case-specific proof to show during boarding/immigration.

Disclaimer: when it comes to traveling overseas in current situation for any reason; it’s best to confirm with IRCC/ Government guidelines first rather than rely on an individuals opinion.

Thanks for the response avj. Yes the documents are stating that I am eligible.
I will check with web form and get their guidance on the process of the worst case scenario.

Regards,
Sumit

They are extending landing deadline. I reached out to them through web form and received a reply today.

Your confirmation of permanent residence document was valid to XX May 2010 as it was tied to the results of your medical examination. Based on your email below indicating you are unable to travel on or before the expiry date on your previously issued Confirmation of Permanent Resident document (COPR) and visa they have now been canceled, please do not attempt to travel on those documents as they are no longer valid. A medical extension will be requested on your behalf, should a new medical examination be required, you will be contacted. There is no action required at this time from you, you will be contacted in due course.

Reach out to them if you cannot travel. You will most likely get an extension.