US Visitor Visa from Canada

@RohsOttawa Can you confirm if you selected below in DS-160?

The List of Purposes of Trip to the U.S.
Purpose of Trip to the U.S. (1): TEMP. BUSINESS PLEASURE VISITOR (B)

Specify: BUSINESS & TOURISM (TEMPORARY VISITOR) (B1/B2)

Also, Did your H1 stamp cancelled when B visa issued?

Hi Takita,

I initially got an appointment in Calgary for Nov 2022 which I booked in January this year.
I was continously checking for any earlier appointments across Canada, and luckily got one for 22nd February. I saw this new appointment opened up during the evening.

And yes, I selected (1): TEMP. BUSINESS PLEASURE VISITOR (B)
BUSINESS & TOURISM (TEMPORARY VISITOR) (B1/B2)

My H1 was already expired before I moved from US to Canada in 2020, so I never got into this situation.

Thanks @RohsOttawa

Can anyone confirm/deny if their H1 stamp gets cancelled when B visa issued?

tagging @panditji @avj @mrandmrs @am1 @SKM @nik

In my case it was a old F1 to new F1 visa but they cancelled the old one with “Canceled Without Prejudice” note. I’m assuming same thing happens between H1 and B during the stamping process. And even if it doesn’t show on passport you can/should only enter with your current status

Thanks @avj

I didn’t get the last line “even if it doesn’t show on passport you can/should only enter with your current status”. Does that mean I can enter using my H1 stamp for visiting friends/family, shopping & transit thru Detroit airport occasionally (once a year) OR does that mean H1 gets cancelled and B remains Active so I cannot have both Active at same time or vice versa?

In my case, I did move in Jul-2021 via Intra company transfer work permit with same employer. I140 approved more than 6 months with same employer. H1 stamp valid until Aug-2023. H1 visa stamping was done in Toronto consulate in Sep-2021.

Just rescheduled my B visa appointment in Aug-2022 at same Toronto consulate.

Lets say, in a hypothetical situation,

1. I had to move back again with same employer in Jan-2023, I had to get H1 stamp again as B active/H1 inactive since Aug-2022
  2. I had to renew my H1 in Aug 2023 and get approval until Aug-2026, then B visa only gets cancelled if/when I attend H1 stamping interview (after Aug-2023), but not when H1 renewal gets approved.
  3. B and H1 cannot be active at same time
  4. Having B visa issued and H1 cancelled doesn’t have any impact on current I140 or future US Green card prospects
  5. Current status in Canada (Work permit) doesn’t have any impact on B visa approval.

That’s a very tricky hypothetical scenario and I’m not the best person to comment on that.

If your visa stamp has expired but visa status in US is active (eg H1 approved but not stamped), generally you can avail the TRV to enter US as long as you’ve been outside for fewer than certain number of days, only in adjacent countries (Canada/Mexico)

When your visa is canceled and you get a new visa you’re supposed to enter on the new visa/status.

A quick search told me that employers can file for H1 and B1 visa at same time if they can explain the purpose.

I’m not really sure if a tourst visa automatically cancel your H1 work permit. I.e. why would you need to enter USA on tourist visa if you already have work permit H1 (and vice versa), and on H1 are supposed to be in the USA working for a certain number of days in the year.

I’m sure others can provide better insights since I don’t have much experience in H1/B1 visa types

Sure.

In my case, the reason is pretty straight forward.

B - To visit friends/family (relatives) & transit thru Detroit airport for international travel (once a year, departure/arrival).

H1 - To get back to US office if my employer requires me physically for reasons such as to train other team members in-person on a time critical project(s) and/or to work with vendors on-site in various time critical initiatives.

Not sure if it makes sense to have/keep both B & H1 Active at same time.

If the visa officer asks the reasons to keep H1 Active during B interview, I can portray my answers, but not sure if it’s the case or the officer at POE makes decision to automatically cancel H1 at the border when entering 1st time via B visa.

If you’re getting paid by US employer and you’re in US you need a H1. Also as far as I know H1 has a requirement of a certain months to be within US physically. I honestly don’t know how and to what extent these are enforced. It might be worth talking to your H1 employer’s immigration lawyer/office

We have H1b and H4 visa interview appointment in Toronto, Are kids(US citizens) allowed to go inside building?

Tried to find details online but this is best I could do: Security Procedures - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Canada

Doesn’t explicitly say whether you can bring immediate family members (US citizens or otherwise), IMO might be prudent to go without, if possible.

Hello friends,

Did anyone successfully get their b1/b2 visa with just the COPR and not the pr cards ? I have an appointment next week and my pr cards have not arrived yet. I can show my COPR and previous work permit.

Many people now or in the future looking for answer to B1/B2 visitors stamping experience with valid H1B/I140.

Consulate - Toronto
Appointment date/time - 9/28/22 9am

Locker rental availed at convenience store located at 438 University Ave couple blocks north US Consulate.

Reached Consulate with File at 8:45am. At the entrance appointment instruction letter and ds-160 confirmation asked then allowed inside. security check. Then passport, ds-160 confirmation & status in Canada document verified by two ladies and then allowed inside Consulate hall where actual things happen. There was a large line not sure they increased numbers on same slots with COVID easing as I didn’t see 10% of todays numbers last year (2021) when went for H1B stamping.

Counter #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 are labelled as “IN TAKE”. My turn came to Counter #4. verified same docs as done before (passport, ds-160 & Status in Canada document) and photo. Then directed to next step.

Counter #6, #7 labelled as “FINGER PRINTS”. my turn came to Counter #6. verified photo and then directed to next step.

Counter #8, #9, #10, #11, #12 labelled as “INTERVIEW”. My turn to #8. Visa interview experience.

• Officer: What’s purpose of your trip

• Officer: Where do you work?

• Officer: What’s your status in Canada?

• Officer: What do you do?

• Officer: I see you also have H1B (not a question, but kind of question expecting some response from me so responded)

• Officer: When did you come to Canada?

• Officer: Did you face any issues at the border before?

• Officer: Do you have relatives in US?

• Officer: Did you have B1/B2 before?

• Officer: Do you have family in US?

• Officer: Do you have family in Canada?

• Officer: What’s your role?

• Officer: Where do you work?

• Officer: Congratulations! Your visa approved. You can collect your passport at the specified location in 1-10 business days.

No documents asked. typing very fast looking at screen during later half of questions.

The two ladies who verified docs after security at the entrance were constantly telling everyone to come closer to accommodate people next in line inside main hall. Officers are available at ALL 12 counters so no counter is closed.

Came out of consulate by 9:15am. Although there were many number of people fully packed inside hall it was kind of quick and rush. Overall a very good experience.

9/28 5pm - DS160 status Approved
9/29 9am - DS160 status Issued
10/3 9:30am - Email from Consulate w/ Canada Post Tracking #
10/3 3:30pm - Canada Post Tracking updated w/ Shipment Pickup from US Consulate.
10/3 6:30pm - Canada Post In Transit
10/4 5:54am - Canada Post Item Processed in local facility
10/4 9:35am - Canada Post ‘Ready for Pickup’ Email

10year B1/B2 multiple entry stamped on passport without cancelling H1 stamp.

3 Likes

Yes, B1/B2 can be used as transit visa. There is no other/specific ‘transit visa’ for US per se.

And you should tell the immigration officer that you are only doing the transit via US if you don’t have any other plans to stay in the US. Be truthful with them as it is a common thing they deal with on a daily bases as a lot of people enter the US daily just for the purpose of transit.

1 Like

Dear Friends , If this helps below is my experience with B1 B2 Visa.
I applied in Aug 2022 for a B1&B2 Visa as I wanted to visit USA to meet old friends (was in US earlier , came to canada after H1b expiry and H1- B2 COS rejected).
I filled ds160 on Aug 30 and initially got appointment for Oct 2023, checked daily and changed it to Sep 2023 , then Dec 2022 and finally Oct 13 2022. I did not have my PR Card so for my status in Canada, just showed my COPR and it was accepted at all counters. Just Carried, Passport, DS 160, 2 photos and Instruction letter, which was a letter I got on the email after I booked my slot on Sep 8th. The instruction letter has the appointment date and time, ensure that is printed. My instruction letter did not have a barcode and it was accepted to get in while most others had the instruction letter with the barcode. Also I took Black and White Printouts of DS 160 and instruction letter as that was cheaper in the library near me and it is not worth to spend for color printouts when not needed.
Appointment time was 1015 . I went in at 10 and saw a line of people waiting and they were allowing people with appointment time 1030 or earlier so if possible go half hour early. My house is right across the street so I left my phone and other stuff at home, if some of you want to do that I can gladly hold your stuff (as long as its not greatly valuable. )
Went in and 2 ladies checked my DS 160 , COPR and passport and let me in. Then in first counter, I gave passport and COPR (no ds 160 or questions was asked) then I went in to next counter to give fingerprints (again no questions or ds160) finally went in to interview and was asked Reason for trip (told I am going to meet a friend in key west) and asked what I do here ( told where I work in toronto) . He then said OK, please collect the passport in a week with the B1 & B2 visa. Thats it - ( Its just a visitor visa so not really a big deal but I hope I can use it to escape winter for a few weeks haha ) Hope this helps some one ! .

2 Likes

In case anyone needs- As I experienced Answer is YES COPR is fine. Also implied status is fine so if your currently on a WP and its expired and you applied for extension - you can still attend a US Visa interview with the proof of extension applied and old WP as your proof of status in Canada

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering if it matters how long you are a PR for in Canada, this helps!

hey does ds 160 change from approved to issued in a day, its been 2 days and status is still approved for me

No problem- as you would have guessed- it absolutely doesnt matter. I have been pr for 50 days now . ONE wp holder arrived in July 22 and has his visitor visa approved

Status changed from Approved to Issued next day am. see my experience and timeline above. It may depend on day of the week and workloads etc.,