Using German PhD as work experience

Dear all,

I earned my PhD from Germany for which I was contractually employed as a scientific employee (Wissenschaftlicher mitarbeiter) by my university for 4.5 years. However, given the prerequisite of our university for the degree to be awarded, I was enrolled as a student for 3 yrs. I did not take any courses for the completion of my degree as it was only research based, only the salary was a certain percentage of a full-time employee, hence the term part-time on my contract. My part-time hours add up to full-time hours as stipulated by IRCC.

Having gone through some other forums, I found that people who earned their PhDs from European countries and where employed for the same, did apply for PR by claiming work experience points. However, I couldn’t determine whether they were successful with their application.

My supervisor is willing to write a letter of reference for the PR application and I would like to know your thoughts about it. Should I go ahead with claiming the points or avoid it as the officer might get confused? Below is the draft - do let me know if I should add or remove something:

Subject: Employment verification letter for XXXX

To Whom It May Concern :

This letter serves to verify that XXXX was working part-time as a scientific employee at the XXXX University to complete his doctoral studies under my supervision from DATE to DATE. The duties and responsibilities associated with his position were:

*Mention duties pertaining to NOC 4012

XXXX was paid according to the German public servant remuneration grade table (TV-L). He received a monthly salary according to XXXX. His position involved the following hours of work:

· DATE A - DATE B: XXX hours/week
· DATE B - DATE C: XXX hours/week
· DATE C - DATE D: XXX hours/week

His monthly (gross) salary was XXXX EUR.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me (see contact information below).

Thank you!!!