Hello All ,
Looking for advice.
I am are currently in a situation. Me and my spouse are currently residing in US and have received our Canada PPR request on May 20th.However our India trip is planned for July 2nd week and if in the worst case our passport return is delayed due to some reason we wont be able to make to India in such a situation.
Our India trip is really important me and my partner have a US embassy appointment in India. We cannot miss that.
Please suggest me if it is okay if we send our passports once we are back to the US (August mid).Can we let them know about our situation and request to extend the deadline .I will be able to share all the ticket and embassy appointment screenshot for them to understand our emergency situation. Currently how many days it takes to get the passport back to US mail address.
Looking for your valuable suggestions.
Hello All ,
I got my PPR on Feb 28 and sent out all documents to VFS on Mar 2. I got back my passport on Mar 31st.
I am not sure what is the current timeline. I used to check this forum to get experiences from others: Confusion about how to send PPR documents to New York VO | Canada Immigration Forum
In any case, I think it is too risky at this point. You may not get back passport by July 2nd. Your best bet may be to call IRCC and ask for extension. However I heard it is very hard to get through to IRCC these days. If you don’t get an extension or response from IRCC, I guess you need to decide which is more important - Canada PPR or US visa renewal. If PPR is more important, you should take a shot and send all docs to VFS ASAP and hope for the best.
We were in a similar spot two years ago and can understand your concern here. We sent our passports to Ottawa upon receiving the PPR email on Monday. On Friday, the same week, we received it back with the one-time travel visa. Also, we chose an expedited delivery option if I rightly remember via FedEx. Please note this was in 2020, right before the pandemic, so unsure how things are working now. I just wanted to share our experience.
I had a couple of international conferences so asked the officer for a 3-month extension and they granted it right away. I responded to the email address that got in touch with us to request our passports and they confirmed the extension pretty much instantly. Best of luck!
Most people I have spoken to have received their stamped passport back in 1-2 weeks, however there can always be some exceptions. If you are risk-averse I would suggest contacting IRCC through web-form/email or their support number and explaining the situation, mostly they grant such extensions. Make sure to mark your request as urgent.
Also check with IRCC how long of an extension you can get, for e.g. if your India stay is extended for any reason (I presume this is for US visa stamping so sometimes they can take few more weeks if it goes into background check or something)? Helps to cover all bases.