WORK PERMIT: type of visa for dependents

This question is not related to PR directly and it is directed towards those who have got a Work permit to work for a Canadian employer before getting an ITA or PR application started.

  • What type of visas/permits would be required for your dependents? My understanding is that spouse can get an open work permit. Is that correct?

  • For kids, going to elementary/middle schools, do you need to apply for a school permit/visa ?

  • For kids who are not of school-going age , what type of visa is required ? Would they be on Visitor visa ? Or something else

Appreciate your help/knowledge sharing on this.

Appreciate any responses here from folks who have applied for dependent visas with their work permits.

Were you able to find answers? or what did you do in your case?

My research says:

  • Open Work permit for spouse
  • no visa/permit for kids (school as well as daycare)
  • study permit for college age kids

We got our PR and moved couple of months back.

For school going kids also, you need a study permit , not just for college going kids.
For day care going kids, just a simple visitor visa is enough.

1 Like