Your Canada EE story

I chose this because this is my 2nd attempt for H1B and I suspect I didn’t get picked in lottery even this time (next year will be my last H1 attempt, I am on OPT extn) , also I have seen people on H1B with hanging sword of uncertainty over their neck, not able to change their jobs, not able to buy homes… which sometimes make me wonder why did I choose US for my education and career in first place, but I realize its a big help at least for Canadian EE. Well Canadian PR will let me shape my future on my own terms, it’s a merit based system so it’s fair unlike H1. These are some of the reasons I chose Canada EE.

Feel free to post your story

-Sourabh

1 Like

My primary reason was I wanted to explore some startup ideas. Having the permanence and freedom of PR is fantastic and we’re taking full advantage of it. I had traveled earlier to Toronto and have friends here so I did like the city a lot and the quality of life it offers.

2 Likes

Well most of the world has read your story @anon25417004 :slight_smile: and inspired many people like me, I appreciate the fact that you still replied to my post. Thanks.

In the same boat as you (third H1B attempt, no result yet), have one more next left year (4th!). I’m sure my company will apply again since they don’t want to let me go. However I agree that it might be necessary. I had initially applied for the PR as a plan-B after Nov 2016 election, but now it has become plan-A!

I think eventually the H1B quota will increase as people start leaving the country for greener pastures, however don’t hold your breath.

Sorry to hear you’re going through the same phase, but happy to hear you already have Canadian PR and it’s your plan A now. I must say I was having real hard time going through this lottery waiting phase and I was regretting coming to US and investing so much time and money for my masters and all the hard work we have to endure as a student, but I consider myself fortunate to have a decent CRS score and I have made a promise to myself to not let me go through the frustrating H1B phase next year. I really want to get Canadian PR before next H1 season and start a fresh life on my own terms.Interestingly every month 3000 people (most of them are similar to us) are getting ITAs, thats like 36000 per year, even if 30k out of those end up actually moving to Canada thats a big dent to the US tech industry

Not every one, from that 36000 or even 30K , is from US or tech industry :slight_smile:

I’ve been in the H1 lottery 3 times, and haven’t been lucky. Currently I am on H4 EAD and with the uncertainty of H4 and H1, we decided to look into Canadian PR. I think we are at a point where we need stability in our status and future, with the current outlook in US, Canada PR was the best fit.

Have you finished your PR application process? Heard you got the ITA earlier.

In the process. Had the medical done last week so this weekend should apply and finish off the process.

1 Like

3 times…I can imagine how difficult it would have been to cope up for no fault of yours, I am always optimistic about the things that are in my control but I am the most pessimistic person when it comes to something I have no control on, I don’t know if that’s the right attitude to have. But hell yeah I am super optimistic about Canadian EE for all of us :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I think the H1, H4 and GC policies are what are driving most of the people from US to Canada. The numbers definitely seem to have gone up in the current administration.

My husband and I had been living in the US for 10 years and 9 years respectively. We were both on F1 visa initially and then moved to H1B. We never really had issues with getting our H1 or with the extensions. My company had filed for my GC but my husband’s previous company had promised to file but did not file his GC which meant that once his H1B ended, he would need to transition over to H4 EAD. Our 6 years of H1B were ending in 2017 (mine in September and my husband’s in December).

In January 2017 we had some personal challenges and that got us thinking about moving out of the US but we did not know where to go so we started looking at options. India was always a choice but we wanted to see if there was anything better out there. After looking at several countries, and going back and forth, we decided to start our EE process. We decided not to renew our H1Bs or go on H4 once our current visas ended. We were tired of not having enough time for ourselves and our families so once my husband’s visa ended in December, we bid adieu to the US and came to India.

Within a week of coming to India, we submitted our profile and received an ITA. Currently we are on a vacation, traveling to different places and spending time with our family and friends. I haven’t felt so relaxed in the last 10 years. Moving to Canada and setting up everything from scratch is going to be a challenge and we are almost ready for it :slight_smile:

12 Likes

So my H1B got picked, got the receipt from my lawyer today, had given up hopes long time ago and had almost forgotten about it due to Canada process. I am going to continue EE process anyway, assuming I get my ITA in June end draw, I will be submitting my docs in next 2 months, if I get PR confirmation by Sept-Oct, I wont be able to do landing in Canada as it would void my change of status for H1B and I am planning to travel to India in December to get my H1 stamping, will I be allowed to land in Canada in January/February 2019 assuming I get my PR confirmation 4 months prior to that ? This is little complicated but I believe it can be managed. Please let me know your thoughts about this

1 Like

You can land anytime between your medical test day and one year after that…

1 Like

Depends on your medical test date. Your PR visa is valid one year from that date.

1 Like

Alright, I guess I won’t have any issues then. Also, I got my WES today, my wife will get hers on 11th June, we have our IELTS already. Should I submit my EE profile immediately to make it for tomorrow’s draw or wait for the next draw after I receive wife’s WES. Our score counting her WES is 484 and without her WES is 474. What’s your recommendation?

Submit ASAP. If you get ITA you don’t need her ECA. You can always add it later if needed

I am currently working in Bay area on H1b . Moved to US in 2013, did my masters from Columbia University.
It was good experience both at school and at work. I enjoyed my time here and got exposure to variety of industries and was part of one early stage startup as well. Moving to Toronto next month to work on my own startup idea, dont want to wait forever for green card.

2 Likes

@shobhit reach out when you get here I’m trying to get a few people together every couple weeks for dinner and drinks. Everyone else who’d like to join feel free to reach out.

1 Like

Sure. Looking forward to meeting with you!