Actually Moving to Canada: My Experience and Things you need to do

Service due date doesn’t matter it’s not legally binding. If you want you can get it checked, else just do it in Canada.

Wait for a day or too.

Great post! Congratulations on starting your Canadian journey!!

With regard to jobs - did you mention Canadian PR on LinkedIn? On your application, and resume? Just curious!

Not on LinkedIn, but I did mention on my resume/application when I sent it to Canadian employers/recruiters.

1 Like

I just landed in Toronto as a ‘settler’ after I did the soft landing in Vancouver. The immigration official I talked with said I should have declared goods to follow during my short landing 5 months back which is incorrect. You need to declare goods to follow only when you have an intent to reside permanently (~ 12 months). The customs official stamped my goods to follow without issues and didn’t even have a look at my goods to accompany list. Prepare goods accompanying list but don’t spend more than a few mins on it. I hope some one finds this information useful.

1 Like

Got my Car import process complete today. Here is a list of all items in the process to give idea about timeline and cost involved :

• Find the right transport agency (Could charge between 1500 - 2500 USD depending on the distance and time /season. This should include the 300 USD export fee paid at US Customs.
  • Once the car reaches the bonded warehouse, your transport agent calls you and you need to go there to collect the car. Need to pay 160 CAD for this process. Actual process is explained in Anshul’s post above .
  • Pay 310 + tax (~ 350 ) CAD to RIV as importation fee.
  • Wait for a day or two (or call RIV), then go to Canadian Tire
  • Pay 145 CAD for safety and standards certificate.
  • Take all the forms/title to Service Ontario and pay Title/Registration/Plate fee. You have option to pay for 3 months or 1 year and 3 months. I paid for 1y3mo and it came around 210 CAD.
    You get the plates in hand and the title/registration document.

All in all, pretty expensive process but worth it as it gives you time to look for your second car (in case not importing 2 cars from USA), and wait until you build up a decent credit score. Also helpful if you plan to buy a house first as your mortgage eligibility would be set off by roughly 150K if there is a car loan installment of 500 per month.

6 Likes

@usa2can Can we complete this registration and get the plates in hand using US driver’s license and Canadian Auto Insurance?

No, You need Canadian auto insurance as well as driving license for the plates

Which auto insurance did you get?
Thank you.

Allstate seems to have slightly better (~10%) rates than big banks (TD/RBC/etc) atleast for my case, so I went with them for now.

In either case, be prepared to shell out around 2.5X of what you are used to in the US.

1 Like

Buckley insurance is my insurance broker here. The actual insurance company can vary. You can do a google search and contact multiple brokers and likely will find a good deal. “Good” in Mississauga/Brampton means anything around/less than CAD 200/month.

2 Likes

Personally i don’t prefer shipping car if you had already used for 5-6 years. Else if yours is new car then it makes sense for the cost you are bearing.
Since canada (same as america) works on credit history , buying a car here helps in starting to build good credit history. We need this as we are all starting from scratch.

Yes insurance are actually 4-5 times higher. We had 2 cars in US and we used to spend 90$ per month. Here i’m shelling out 193$/month for a new car (2019 SUV).

Similar to you AllState gave best deal in my case too. I live in markham .

3 Likes

Soft Landing during H1 extension

Anyone who has done a soft landing from USA during the 240 days of H1B extension? Or after Decline of H1? Does the Canada officials ask for your status in the current country of residence (i.e USA)? Please share your experience in both Land and Air soft landing.

Did you all have to cancel US license plate after importing car? Did you need to mail your license plate to DMV?

Thanks.

CBSA never asked me for my US status, and CBP never asked me for my Canadian status. If you’re doing a “soft landing”, it means you need to figure out if your current US status/visa allows you to go back into US.

No, I kept my US license plates. You cannot drive without license plates, therefore no one takes them away at the border. During registration they’ll give you new license plates.

1 Like

Hello,

We did our soft landing and we have received our PR cards as well. We are in the US at the moment. If we want to travel to Canada again for a few days, what all documents would we need? Only the PR card and passport?

Hi,
Is there any restriction on moving certain household things to Canada from the US. Can we send spices etc. with the movers?

Thank you.

Yes only those 2 to come into Canada.