Actually Moving to Canada: My Experience and Things you need to do

@avj , When we exchange our USA driving license for a G license, do they keep our foreign license ?

HJust moved here this week so will try based on our experience .

1. approximate cost and photo is good enough .

2. there is no expiry if GTF list , as long as it was on your GTF list , custom duty is waived .

3. no need to carry it every time , unless you are bringing more than what you took out.

4. not sure about relatives , but a relationship proof with GTF list should be enough .
    To be honest , they are very busy and don’t bother normally for jewelerry etc . They are going for big fishes or criminals .

5. I am also looking for the same info but heard that TD provides free lockers with their premium package .

1 Like

Yes they will keep your original license in exchange for Canadian license

Ok, thanks that’s good to know

Hello, is there a Canadian Tire near the Mississauga customs office? Don’t we have to bring the vehicle to the Canadian Tire to get it inspected? Can we drive it there at this point?

We cannot drive the car until we get the provincial license plate and the small paper with all the details from ServiceOntario?

I don’t think we have to do all this same day, you get 30 days after you release your car from the warehouse.

Once you get the car, next step is to pay the RIV fee (online or at their office in Etobicoke)
Then, go to canadian tire center for clearance

Only then you can go to the Registration at Service ontario.

I have a query : My regular service minder says service is due, is it recommended to get it done before the Canadian tire inspection? Or should I get the done after Inspection at Canadian Tire.
I was hoping to get the inspection as well as service done at Canadian Tire if they do it to save on a trip.

1 Like

Hello @avj, @am1 and others who have successfully imported card from US, Need help here.

I have got the car in hand, as well as paid the RIV import fee of 310 + taxes online 4 days back.

But I am unable to trace my case for download Form 2 which is needed to go to Canadian Tire for inspection.

Did you guys went to RIV in person or paid it online?
If online, how much time did it take to be able to download the form 2 from RIV website.

Thanks

I paid online and then called RIV customer service since I could not trace my case online. I suggest you call RIV support, they should resolve it pretty quickly.

Thanks @am1 , calling them resolved the issue

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

Yes you can drive your vehicle in Canada till you can register it (you have 45 days to do it after clearing customs). Just call your US insurance company to make sure your car is covered in Canada. You can drive for these few days on your US license plates and registration information as you would in the US.

2 Likes

You need to:

1. Clear car from customs (Form 1)
  2. Pay RIV fee (wait for a day(
  3. Download Form 2 from RIV website after 2) is processed
  4. Get car inspected at Canadian tire (safety standards + Form 2 compliance)
  5. Get insurance for your car with Canadian insurance company (good to have proof of prior insurance and driving record from all your prev insurance companies.)
  6. Only then can you register with service ontario.
2 Likes

Service due date doesn’t matter it’s not legally binding. If you want you can get it checked, else just do it in Canada.

Wait for a day or too.

Great post! Congratulations on starting your Canadian journey!!

With regard to jobs - did you mention Canadian PR on LinkedIn? On your application, and resume? Just curious!

Not on LinkedIn, but I did mention on my resume/application when I sent it to Canadian employers/recruiters.

1 Like

I just landed in Toronto as a ‘settler’ after I did the soft landing in Vancouver. The immigration official I talked with said I should have declared goods to follow during my short landing 5 months back which is incorrect. You need to declare goods to follow only when you have an intent to reside permanently (~ 12 months). The customs official stamped my goods to follow without issues and didn’t even have a look at my goods to accompany list. Prepare goods accompanying list but don’t spend more than a few mins on it. I hope some one finds this information useful.

1 Like

Got my Car import process complete today. Here is a list of all items in the process to give idea about timeline and cost involved :

• Find the right transport agency (Could charge between 1500 - 2500 USD depending on the distance and time /season. This should include the 300 USD export fee paid at US Customs.
  • Once the car reaches the bonded warehouse, your transport agent calls you and you need to go there to collect the car. Need to pay 160 CAD for this process. Actual process is explained in Anshul’s post above .
  • Pay 310 + tax (~ 350 ) CAD to RIV as importation fee.
  • Wait for a day or two (or call RIV), then go to Canadian Tire
  • Pay 145 CAD for safety and standards certificate.
  • Take all the forms/title to Service Ontario and pay Title/Registration/Plate fee. You have option to pay for 3 months or 1 year and 3 months. I paid for 1y3mo and it came around 210 CAD.
    You get the plates in hand and the title/registration document.

All in all, pretty expensive process but worth it as it gives you time to look for your second car (in case not importing 2 cars from USA), and wait until you build up a decent credit score. Also helpful if you plan to buy a house first as your mortgage eligibility would be set off by roughly 150K if there is a car loan installment of 500 per month.

6 Likes

@usa2can Can we complete this registration and get the plates in hand using US driver’s license and Canadian Auto Insurance?

No, You need Canadian auto insurance as well as driving license for the plates