Actually Moving to Canada: My Experience and Things you need to do

Which auto insurance did you get?
Thank you.

Allstate seems to have slightly better (~10%) rates than big banks (TD/RBC/etc) atleast for my case, so I went with them for now.

In either case, be prepared to shell out around 2.5X of what you are used to in the US.

1 Like

Buckley insurance is my insurance broker here. The actual insurance company can vary. You can do a google search and contact multiple brokers and likely will find a good deal. “Good” in Mississauga/Brampton means anything around/less than CAD 200/month.

2 Likes

Personally i don’t prefer shipping car if you had already used for 5-6 years. Else if yours is new car then it makes sense for the cost you are bearing.
Since canada (same as america) works on credit history , buying a car here helps in starting to build good credit history. We need this as we are all starting from scratch.

Yes insurance are actually 4-5 times higher. We had 2 cars in US and we used to spend 90$ per month. Here i’m shelling out 193$/month for a new car (2019 SUV).

Similar to you AllState gave best deal in my case too. I live in markham .

3 Likes

Soft Landing during H1 extension

Anyone who has done a soft landing from USA during the 240 days of H1B extension? Or after Decline of H1? Does the Canada officials ask for your status in the current country of residence (i.e USA)? Please share your experience in both Land and Air soft landing.

Did you all have to cancel US license plate after importing car? Did you need to mail your license plate to DMV?

Thanks.

CBSA never asked me for my US status, and CBP never asked me for my Canadian status. If you’re doing a “soft landing”, it means you need to figure out if your current US status/visa allows you to go back into US.

No, I kept my US license plates. You cannot drive without license plates, therefore no one takes them away at the border. During registration they’ll give you new license plates.

1 Like

Hello,

We did our soft landing and we have received our PR cards as well. We are in the US at the moment. If we want to travel to Canada again for a few days, what all documents would we need? Only the PR card and passport?

Hi,
Is there any restriction on moving certain household things to Canada from the US. Can we send spices etc. with the movers?

Thank you.

Yes only those 2 to come into Canada.

In general food items are not allowed. Check on CBSA if spices are classified as food items.

You should open a separate question for this.

The answer depends on a state by state basis. Some states require you to turn in your license plates, in my case NJ does, others don’t. You should check the details for your state.

If you don’t want to mail in the plates, at the bare minimum you should write to them and let them know that you don’t intend to use them and are not in the country, so that they can de-activate them in their systems.

1 Like

@avj… I have an exactly same form 2 on my car. However, before we get this to Canadian Tire we have to meet these standards asked on the form. Where did you got the car modified to meet these standards ? As Canadian Tire told me that they will not check all these things on the car.
Thank you.
-AV

I did not need to modify anything on my car to meet the standards (it is an '08 Accord). Have you been to Canadian tire already and got these things checked? When I went there they said one of the brake lights was not working and fixed it for me and then stamped the certificate.

If there are some things you need to modify on your car to meet standards you can get them done at Canadian tire itself. If they have told you it cannot be done there you’ll have to search for a local mechanic/shop/dealer who can do it.

@avj… Thank you for the quick response. Mine is ('16 Accord), and I called them up to ask. The only thing I think that is required on my car is the French SRS Maintenance Label (not sure if they provided this on your car as well). Which Canadian Tire did you go for inspection? I can try them. As the one near me says they will not fix these things.

Hi,
In regards to the Address tip for exchanging US license, do all the license offices in canada accept the mailed bank statement as address proof? We are not able to find an apartment in Canada from US , so we will have to put up at relative’s place temporarily.
Has anyone had an experience where they were denied license coz they hadn’t leased an apartment.

Usually whatever is the address on your landing document, they will issue you the license on the same. They did not ask me anything else apart from my Passport, my US license and my landing document. I was staying temporarily at a friend’s place at the time of exchange. You can get the address changed later on - just like in the US.

Thanks for your post, it is very helpful. Can you tell me how did you do the valuation of the car? Is it just the price you bought at or is there an agency that tells you the current value?