Actually Moving to Canada: My Experience and Things you need to do

Ok, thanks @avj !

@avj
You said this above:

I was getting quote anywhere from $250-400/mo for car and renters insurance. A broker got all my prior insurance information and gave me a nice rate. You need insurance anyway, before you can register your car in the province.

What is the rate you got after you got it from broker?
was it $250 or less or how much?

Did you have less than 9 year or more than 9 year US history?
and you car was which year model?

Also, Do we need insurance start date on the date when you visit service ontario to register car or iit has to be a date in past or a date in future?

thanks.

1. Rate depends on your zip code: Initially I got $200 but when I moved to low insurance area it reduced to $180. Haven’t heard anything below $150 in the GTA area.
  2. I had 8 years of history when I moved. I have quite an old model but as far as I know, that doesn’t change the premium much, even my friends with brand new cars pay as much. What affects the quote is the location, miles driven, time of driving, and your license type, and vehicle type (e.g. bikes pay 3x - 5x times the insurance as per my sources).
  3. You are required to have proof of active insurance when you visit the center, can’t be a future date.

thanks for answers…
yeah i know and we are in most expensive postal code of GTA and Canada i guess…
I contacted a broker but it was coming as $358… online when i check different companies myself then its coming cheapest $260 with rbc and our car is 13years old car…

Anyways, did you add just you as 1 driver or you added even your spouse (if you are married) so 2 drivers when you say it was $200 from the broker?

@avj @usa2can @mrandmrs great post! Thanks

We are moving to Canada in August and we have already booked our ReloCube(s). I have some questions on good allowed to import.

1. Can we import Used mattress from US to Canada in ReloCube?or do I have to get mattress fumigated?
  2. Can I bring dry spices and dry groceries? E.g. Spices nuts and grains?

We are in same situation

I used Atlas Van lines, 1 of the big 3. They took care of mattress, some spices. unfortunately not alcohol. Had to consume the stock at an accelerated pace. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Technically mattresses need to be fumigated (I did not bring mine so I don’t know what kind of documentation etc is accepted). I had written “mattress” on my GTF during soft landing but she made me remove that, and I let her since it was a cheap IKEA mattress that I disposed off.

If they are inexpensive might be worth just buying new here. If they are expensive you can fumigate and bring them over.

Don’t bring any food, not worth the trouble if found. Just give it away.

1 Like

Hi there,

Just catching this conversation as I write up my GTF and GA lists. I have a couple questions I’m wondering if you have tips for @avj.

1. Do you know if paint is allowed? Like partially or unused cans of house paint? Not sure if this is considered hazardous/flammable or not.
  2. My partner is our primary applicant, I am the accompanying common law partner. He will enter first by air and I will follow a month or so after by car over US border. When he crosses, do you know how he should list the items that I will bring over with me when I cross second? Would these be goods to follow (since they follow him - principle applicant) or goods accompanying (since they’ll accompany me - accompanying partner)?

Thank you for any tips or insight you might have!
M

1. Technically you are required to pay duty on construction equipment so if you mention that it might stick out https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry/bringing-goods.html
    I dont know about hazards of bringing paint but if it’s not that important do you want to take that risk?

2. I think they will go into your goods accompanying list. To be on the safe side your partner should include them in the GTF anyway and can get clarified during his landing.

Ok, thanks for your insight, @avj !

We discarded most of our stuff in the US so I don’t know how much of a hassle it is to bring a mattress but I would avoid bringing it unless it is very expensive.

As for food products, spices which are already ground might be ok but avoid getting any whole spices, nuts or grains.

1 Like

Hi ChinC,

I recently moved from the US to Canada. Made use of UPack (Relocube). I had two mattresses (1 King and 1 Queen) which I shipped via UPack. I had no issues.

The CBSA agent went thru my GTF. I had listed my mattresses there. She did not ask any questions about the mattresses.

She enquired if there were any items in the cubes which I have not declared. There were a couple of furniture items as well as some work from home equipment which I had not added in the GTF. I disclosed them but she did not ask me to pay any fees on those items.

She stamped the manifest and I was out of there in 10 mins.

Again I do not know if this was specific to the agent I had the luck to work with or this is how it is. But sharing my experience.

Good luck in your move.

1 Like

I also recently arrived in Canada and shipped 2 mattresses (and other stuff) via PODS container. The CBSA agent at airport went through my GTF list (where I had listed the mattresses, etc) and signed/stamped without question.

I don’t think there is any issue bringing mattresses into Canada from USA as a permanent resident.

@arjun-humain @arvm @mrandmrs @avj Thank you for all your answers, I have successfully shipped the mattress without any issues. No questions asked by CBSA Agent. All went well.

Thank you all once again! Finally here in ‘Tronno’

2 Likes

Hey folks. We are finally in the process of moving from seattle to Vancouver next month. Since this is a pretty small distance was wondering if i can do multiple trips moving our stuff to the new place. Did anyone do that? Will there be any issue with cbsa/customs to prove im just moving my goods to follow in multiple trips instead of one?
I have a truck that I can tow a trailer with, so planning to bring most of the large furniture (bed frames, couch, desks, chairs, electronics) at once but would still have some smaller boxes and stuff to move later.

There shouldn’t be any issue, just let them know your plan at your initial crossing and they’ll give you any specific instructions. Also make sure you have all your goods to follow written on your form (one for goods accompanying and a separate one for all that will come in following trips).

I moved from Vermont to Montreal (2hr drive) in October and am still in the process of slowly bringing all my stuff up by car. Every time I cross back into Canada with a car load, they have me go inside at the border office and check off each item that I’m bringing on that trip. They rarely even look in the car - just once they glanced for about 2 mins but didn’t pull anything out or dig or anything. Usually it’s quite fast and easy and they’re very chill about it. That said, the seattle/Van crossing is much larger, so it might be a bit more hassle/time for you, but I don’t think you’ll have issues.

Good luck!
M

2 Likes

thank you! appreciate the inputs. on another note, did you have a GTF during your original landing or filled a separate one when you started moving? I’m a bit of a klutz and might have misplaced the original GTF that i submitted when landing. will I be allowed to compile a new list or have to pay duty on all of them? my car is newly acquired after landing, so likely will have to pay tax/duty when importing it, but for rest of the stuff do i have to worry now?

Yes you need the original GTF you supplied at landing because it has the stamps. If you really can’t find it, I would recommend bringing another printed copy and explaining the situation and with any luck, maybe they’ll be flexible…
For the car, you might still be able to import it as it’s a different process. Check out the rules for importing a car (I didn’t do it so don’t know them well). It might be worth it if you can, especially if it was a relatively expensive car, as you could be paying pretty high taxes on it otherwise. I know there are some good detailed forum threads in here about it

Hey quick question,
I have already declared my VIN during the soft landing phase. So do I need to pay any additional taxes during Import process ?