Adding spouse name on passport, required?

Hi all,

I am working in Canada for 2 years now and planning to apply for PR. I have few questions,

1. I am married in 2021, do I need to have my spouse’s name added to my passport before submitting my profile?

2. My passport expired in Jan 2023, would you guys suggest to renew now or just do it after?

3. How long should the passport be valid when I get the PR?

4. I am in India on vacation, can I submit my profile for express entry under CEC while I am here? Does that matter?

Best,
CG

Hi @admins,

Can anyone please help answer my questions?

Best,
CG

Hi CG,

Trying to answer a few based on my knowledge-

1. I am married in 2021, do I need to have my spouse’s name added to my passport before submitting my profile? - No. You do not need to just for submitting the profile. You will anyway be providing the marriage certificate etc. post ITA so adding the name in passport is not required.
  2. My passport expired in Jan 2023, would you guys suggest to renew now or just do it after?
    I would suggest to go ahead and renew it now. It hardly takes a month these days.
  3. How long should the passport be valid when I get the PR?
    Even if you get an ITA in next few months, it would take many more months to get the actual PR based on the timelines we see these days. So it would be a risk to have a very short validity left in your passport.
  4. I am in India on vacation, can I submit my profile for express entry under CEC while I am here? Does that matter?
    No. Submitting the profile doesn’t matter if you are in India or Canada.

Thanks,
Rohit

Hi @RohsOttawa,

Thanks for the detailed answers. Just a followup question,

If I submit the profile with the current passport and just renew it after getting the ITA, and then upload it with webform, that should be all okay right?

Best,
Chintan

That’s right Chintan. Just let them know via the webform.

1 Like

Thank you Rohit.