Advice on work permit option

In my case, we applied visa for my spouse and baby as well. They will be traveling with me. But it shouldn’t be a problem, if you can apply a Visitor Visa for your wife (mentioning as not accompanying spouse, if submitted along with your WP application).

** NOT AN IMMIGRATION ADVICE ** Please check with attorney as well

Thanks @Jose for confirming. My understanding is that for spouse if traveling with you, work permit can be applied as well. Any idea if it can be done along with primary applicant or need to be done later? Thanks for all your valuable inputs.

Yes - the spouse will get an open work permit. Baby/Kid if born in the US and has a US passport doesn’t need a Canadian tourist visa => This is what my attorney said

Yeah. But TCS doesn’t provide the option to apply Open Work Permit for wife. We need to do it on our own after reaching Canada. They will apply for Visitor Visa only.

looks like fully vaccinated can have Arrival test only per proposed changes.

Do you know when the decision can be made on these proposals?

Not sure yet. I’m also waiting for that news. That would make the travel a bit easier with direct move from home to home.

It should be either TRV or SOWP depending on the company policy.

Disclaimer: NOT IMMIGRATION ADVISE. Consult attorney for better resolution.

1 Like

road crossing doesn’t require hotel stay at this time. Take pre entry 72hrs before travel, on arrival, Day 8 tests during 14day quarantine stay at a place of our choice (no hotel)

The only additional hassle with flying compared to driving is 3night hotel stay.

I hope certain rules are relaxed by the end of current lockdown (mid June)

I hope they lift up restrictions on the fully vaccinated folks. There are still some hopes:

Thanks a lot guys for all your inputs. Appreciate it.

Hey @Takita Did they request a passport from you or just provided the approval letter? I have a Canadian visitor stamp on my passport - not sure if they will request my passport or they will stamp my passport on the border using approval letter. Thank you

@swamiom, approval letter, no PPR.

Perfect thank you!!

@Jose @Takita Have you crossed the border yet? Did your attorney said about the medical exam? I think we will not need it as we are staying in the US for more than 6 months. Thanks

We’re planning to travel on 20-June. Since we went to India for 2 months in 2020, we had to take medical exam (being out of US for more than a month) while applying for the permit in Dec. So we have one already which is valid until Dec-2021.

Thanks @Jose - I have asked my attorney about it. I have been in the US for the last 3 years so it may be waived. In case I have to do it - do you mind sharing how long is the process? Thanks

Pretty simple. Book a Panel Physician through Panel Physicians

Once you go there, they will take a photo, X-Ray and other things like BP, Weight, Height. You can collect the report in few hours, they will also update it in the Canada Govt website.

Sounds good - thanks much @Jose

Can you please share a sample Good to follow document (redacted is fine too)? Can we group into categories or should everything be itemized?

Hello. Thank you for starting this thread. It’s very helpful. I have a few questions about the work permit option and hoping someone can clarify.

1. If the company is sponsoring a closed work permit for me, can I apply an open work permit for my spouse or does the company have a say in that?

2. Do I need to be in Canada to apply for open permit.

3. Has anyone used the closed work permit to claim extra points in their Express Entry profile?

Thank you

1 and 2, I’m not sure.

For 3, you will need LMIA to claim the job offer points. If the closed work permit comes with LMIA, then you’ll get the points, else you need to wait for one year and apply on Canadian Experience Class with 50 more points.

1 Like