Advice on work permit option

GTS is a global talent stream. For medical - see my previous reply. Thanks

@swamiom, Thanks for the quick response.

Upon checking the link you provided, I see that there is one located ~30mi from my location in VA. I’m still awaiting response from my attorney.

No medical required per Find out if you need a medical exam - Canada.ca

Could you tell what we need to explain when taking appointment?

just say I need to take medicals upfront - anyways it will be used for PR :slight_smile: so better to get it done as it’s valid for 1 year. Thanks

@Jose @Takita I did more research and it appears bsf186 may not be need for temporary workers:

"Some temporary work permit holders entering Canada have found that they have been asked to complete personal effects forms at their ports of entry. "

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

Then details as per official rule book (no mention of bsf186):

" Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances by Non-Residents, or Memorandum D21-4-3, Visiting Forces Personnel – Tariff Item No. 9827.00.00"

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-1-1-eng.html#a4x10

Can you please double check with attorney or any other expert here ?

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll do my DD as well.

Thanks @swamiom.

My attorney replied saying I don’t medical after looking at my case details. I didn’t step out of US since more than 6 months anyway.

I’ll get it done. Thanks!!

1 Like

Just another QQ - What did you mean by approval letters, the one border officers asked you?

I have Deputation Letter (with offer and compensation details). Will that suffice? My attorney seems not reachable and I’ve asked HR too. Just wanted to get an idea in between.

I think they requested the passport from you so you will have work permit stamp on your passport so you should be all set. For me, I visited Canada in 2019 and have visitors stamp on my passport and they did not request passport from me instead provided me the Visa approval letter which we have to show to border visa officer and they issue Visa to us. Hope it helps. Thanks

@Jose, as @swamiom mentioned above…I also received approval letter only but no passport request for stamp since I already got my TRV stamp in 2017 for 5yrs.

I did contact panel physician listed in the website in my state VA. Unfortunately, ALL Immigration physical appointments are booked until Jul. The latest available appt in Aug.

I see the next closest location 4hrs drive.

Is there any workaround or may be I should get the Medicals in Canada when it’s the time.

When are you planning to travel and as you mentioned that you have not stepped out of US, are you still planning to go for medical exam?

May be you can skip it and take the print out of the email where your attorney said its not required. This might work. Thanks

not really since I’m not even finding any appointments/walk-ins near my location.

Good idea! Thanks!!

We traveled to Canada yesterday from Chicago → Toronto. Process was really organized and smooth overall.

Only 9 people were there in Flight - Main cabin including the 3 of us :slight_smile: And literally no one in queue in all the steps on Toronto airport.

We did the pre-travel covid test in CVS. Drive thru was easy, free and self-swab. Got the results in 20 hours.

Couple of observations/tips :

1. Please complete ArriveCAN, as it’s needed for boarding flight
  2. Please register in Switchhealth, as it will avoid internet issues in Toronto airport. Just create a login and that’s it. They’ll ask for your name and find your account to tag the post-travel airport covid test to that account.
  3. Every step of the way in Toronto airport is well organized, and they will guide on to the next one. It took less than an hour for all the steps, including covid test.
    Only documents I used during the travel - Boarding Pass, WP approval letter, Offer (Deputation) Letter, Covid Test Results, Hotel Quarantine Booking, ArriveCAN receipt. But, I had every other supporting document in a file.
  4. The kiosk on the first checkpoint might not accept our passport (Indian), but nothing to worry. It will print an empty receipt which we need to show to the officer there and he will verify the documents and give you a receipt to proceed to next counter.
  5. Like @swamiom mentioned in his post, customs officer said no need for “Goods to Follow” document as we’re coming in Work Permit. It’s required only for PR.
  6. Got the post-travel airport covid results within 15 hours and we’re allowed to leave the hotel quarantine (No refund for remaining 2 nights)
  7. Applying SIN online took only 3 mins. We just need 3 documents - Work permit scanned copy, Passport scanned copy, Lease agreement copy (We leased a house before we landed).
  8. I scheduled internet installation through Teksavvy for a future date before I traveled. Modem will be shipped to home and wait in mail box. Its better to do this before as the installation dates are not available immediately.
  9. ATT works in Canada with decent speed internet. No 5G though. So we can use it for uber, instacart online needs.

All the border officers were helpful in answering any questions.

Thank you everyone in this community! I’ve read almost all the posts and prepared well for everything to expect while moving and after moving to Canada. You guys rock!

2 Likes

It’s wonderful to hear that you had safe and easy journey.

Great and good tips! Congrats @Jose

yes I double checked with the custom officers - no need of bsf186 on work permit !!!

Also want to follow up please take quarantine seriously - Today morning officer came to our Airbnb building on Day 8th to verify if we are actually doing quarantine and verified each of ours passport and asked 3 questions: Are you doing quarantine, how you are doing grocery and how about food.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience @Jose!!!

My travel date is in 2nd week of July and the quarantine exemptions are allowed for fully vaccinated travelers starting 7/6 with latest news, one step to avoid.

I’ll post my experience once I complete my landing.

Thanks for reminding! Yes, we will take the quarantine seriously :slight_smile:

Please check if it’s for all vaccinated travelers. I’ve read it’s only for Canadians and PR holders. WP might not be included.