Anyone from San Diego./Southern California make the move up?

Hi! I’m a Canadian reporter working in San Diego. I grew up in Mississauga and spent pretty much a majority of my formative years in the GTA.

I’m working on a story right now about highly skilled workers from San Diego who moved to Canada and why they chose to. I’m hoping to understand what the benefits of living in Canada are, if the immigration process was easy, what your favourite part about living in Canada is (yay for Timmies, nay for black ice) and how your family adapted to Canadian culture. Please reach out to me if you’d like to talk!

3 Likes

Just curious on why you chose San Diego (apart from the fact that you work there) as the target city for your study. Is it due to contrasting geographical & climatic conditions between San Diego vs Toronto? This would be a very interesting read if you get to publish your story & share with the community. Good luck! & hope you find your subjects.

I have made this move finally earlier this year. Lived in SD (Scripps Ranch/MM) for 7 years. Yes, I do miss the beautiful beaches (though it was once a quarter affair in my last 3 years ), hikes to potato chip rock, black mountain, etc., I do miss the dry weather, and I do miss the awesome friend circle I had .
But the certainty of a PR, freedom to explore different opportunities, and the multiculturalism (it’s cliched but you have to feel it to tell it), weighs all over it.

We are still in the transition, as it was such a big change but hopeful and working on it.

Do let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi! We’re an SD based paper, so we usually find locals (or former locals) who could speak to the issue! It’s also interesting because the city is SoCal’s hub of tech, and people moving away could have a possible impact on the economy.

I live in Mira Mesa too! And definitely love the beach, though I could do without the 5pm traffic to La Jolla, lol. I’d love to talk some more, if you want to email me, it’s hafsa.fathima@sduniontribune.com

Haven’t made the move yet, but plan on moving from LA to Canada sometime soon (got my PR approved a month or so ago).

Hi! Congrats on the PR, that must be so exciting! If you want to take some more, please reach out at hafsa.fathima@sduniontribune.com

1 Like

HI there, where in Canada did you move to? How do you like it there? Me and my family are also planning to move and would love to connect.

Hello There, We moved to Toronto. It’s been an exciting journey so far. Let me know if you need any pointers with the move.

Can you pls share your email id? I will email you. Thank you. Here is my email id - hdhome213@gmail.com