Can I apply SIN without PR card?

Hi Everyone,

I have completed my landing Feb 2020 by traveling from Seattle to Vancouver. I couldn’t apply for SIN as service centers were closed and I returned to USA.

Can I apply SIN online without PR card?


For online SIN application you would need to provide your passport, COPR and a Canadian proof of address (bank statement, Provincial ID etc). I’m not 100 Percent sure what is the requirement if you’re applying from outside Canada

1 Like

You can apply for SIN online now. Recommended documents:
To apply online you will need to upload copies of at least 3 different documents:

  1. a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada, and
  2. a valid secondary document to confirm your identity, and
  3. a proof of address

They will send the SIN to your address by mail in a few weeks. Note that you can open a bank account with passport and CoPR (SIN not required) and use that bank statement as proof of address + residency etc.

1 Like

Can we give Usa address and phone number to get the Sin numbe?

Kindly, advise.


I think you need to give canadian address. I could be wrong, but I remember reading this somewhere.