Conflating PR status and work visa

I have browsed the community forums cursorily and I find more information about the PR process than direct recruitment. Aren’t these essentially two different subjects ?

How many have managed to convince the Canadian employers to recruit them directly ? What is the story ?

I am sure many are aware that some Job portals don’t even allow you to register if you are not legally entitled to work.

Why do governments openly advocate a policy and disavow applicants ? Are they wary of the ‘lemming effect’ ?

This forum is mainly for PR aspirants, not direct recruitment, although we have a portal for that if you are interested.

How many have managed to convince the Canadian employers to recruit them directly ? What is the story ?

There’s no convincing, you apply for a job and if it’s a genuine posting they will look at your profile. If you’re right for the and it’s easy to get you over Canadian employers will (it’s easier to sponsor work permits for people in Canada than the US). The process of applying and getting jobs is quite similar to the US, however Canadians tend to be a bit more careful about recruitment and are averse to large risk taking, based on what I’ve read online.
I had a PR before I started applying to Canadian employers and I received couple of offers that I had to decline for various reasons. You will hear varying success stories from people.

I am sure many are aware that some Job portals don’t even allow you to register if you are not legally entitled to work.

Haven’t heard of those. They will ask you if you need a work visa, and then make decision accordingly.

Why do governments openly advocate a policy and disavow applicants ? Are they wary of the ‘lemming effect’ ?

I don’t think any one here is an expert in psychology (atleast I’m not). But I googled it; I think people want to move to tech hubs given that USA is intent on kicking out even the most qualified candidates; the only thing stopping you from doing all the cool things is your visa status. Also I don’t get your part about disavowing applicants. The government has created this fast track program to attract talent and giving them freedom to create startups/jobs by giving qualified applicants a PR. Government doesn’t create jobs, corporations do, and this program is a stimulus package by the government to attract talent. Whether of not that talent makes it big there or fails in doing so is upto the individual.

Usually, people don’t post success stories as much as they post negative experiences online on forums, and that distorts the reality on the ground. People who just do it without doing the needed research are the ones who end up OPs on these forums.

Also, I was wondering if there’s a question here about getting the PR?

1 Like

I, 100 % agree with your statement “People don’t post success stories as much as they post negative experiences online on forums, and that distorts the reality on the ground” .

1 Like

At the end of the day it’s supply and demand. For example, if there are enough Java developers available in Canada through PR route then there’s no reason for the companies to sponsor work permit and bring talents from outside. However, if someone has skill that’s not readily available in the local market then the company would be ready to sponsor directly.

1 Like

Others on this thread have made some excellent points.

I have been through multiple forums including Quora and Canadavisa. Especially on Quora I have read many stories where people weren’t successful in finding jobs and had to go back, which was a bummer because they had sold their houses and moved in the hopes of getting jobs. Unfortunately, getting a job is not as straightforward as getting a PR; PR is an objective evaluation of your credentials, Job is subjective and also depends on the recruiter’s preconceived notions. If your skills and work experience does not make the employer comfortable they’re not going to hire. This is where doing the research yourself beforehand helps rather than relying on hearsay. Some people unfortunately also fall prey to shady immigration consultancies promising paradise just to get your money. Therefore I would recommend always have a plan B, C, and D place for any E-ventuality

1 Like