Confused with what to show as Primary work ex and what I can show in Work History

I have work ex in 3 companies… First one for 1 year then I did my PGDM for 2 years, then took my 2nd work ex of 1 year and 10 months, 3rd work is ongoing for over 1.5 years.

I have taken my second work ex as primary NOC and I am showing the first work ex (after which there is a gap of 2 years for MBA) in the work history.

Will this break in professional continuity due to me pursuing higher studies have any negative effect on the profile?

Also, as my current work ex is ongoing, will it be enough if I provide my offer letters and pay stubs etc.?

NOC is different in all the 3 jobs that I have had.

Thank you.

You will get points for the jobs your are claiming for, irrespective of the gaps, as long as they’re within the last 10 years and in the general area of your NOC and you’re able to provide reference letters for them. Anything else (including the ones you claim points for) needs to go in work history.

Thanks @avj for responding to my query. Could you please clarify what do you mean by “in the general area of your NOC”.

So basically, I am planning to put one of my complete work ex for 1 yr 10 months (NOC 0124) as my Primary work ex… and there is another one of 1 year duration (NOC 2282) which is complete. For these two I can get letters. But for the one which is ongoing… I am not sure if I can get the letter.

Do you mean that both the NOCs which I have mentioned above should be same only then I will get points otherwise i won’t ?
Also, do I have to show letters for everything that’s there in the work history ?

Skilled work experience

Skilled work experience means you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:

• Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

You must show that while working in your primary occupation you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:

• in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.

1 Like

“In the general area of your NOC” = The NOC job duties and responsibilities should match the job duties that you had. E.g. if one job says “software engineer” and another one says “software program manager”, but essentially you were coding/leading coding teams etc., then you may choose the NOC that best overlaps these, if you want to count both as long as you can fit both of those in the NOC description. Again, one NOC won’t fetch you more or less points as highly educated people tend to have skill types 0 or A anyway.

1 Like