Different NOCs correspond to a single Work Experience

Hello everyone,

My question is in regard of my actual NOC code. I graduated with a PhD in Applied Mathematics from the US, during which I performed mathematical research, as well as teaching assistant duties. It seems to me, after reading their description, that two NOC codes fit my work experience:

  • 4012 – Post-secondary teaching and research assistants
  • 2161 – Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries

Do you guys think both would work for me? Could IRCC denies one because they find the other closer to my profile? The reason I am asking is that 4012 might be the safest to use, but I have reasons for wanting to change it to 2161.

Thank you very much guys.