Do I have to land to CoPR City Of Destination

I received my CoPR and it says Vancouver as the City Of Dest since that is what I chose when I submitted my application. Is it ok if I land for the first time in Toronto instead? I did NOT apply via Provincial Nomination Program.

Thanks.

It doesn’t matter, you can land anywhere in Canada as long as you haven’t applied under the PNP program, also avoid landing in Quebec.

Thanks.

Hi, why do you recommend not landing in Quebec?

Quebec has its own immigration track separate from Federal PR.

Don’t land In Quebec unless you applied under Quebec immigration stream!

1 Like

Hi,
I just want to provide a quick update about my recent landing (through land border).
Hopefully, someone will find this information helpful.

I think the city of destination in my CoPR is Toronto but did not go to Toronto for my landing.
This is where I went for my landing - through land border.

Name St. Stephen 3rd Bridge (231)
Region Atlantic Region
District Southern New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island
US Port Calais ME
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 367, St-Stephen NB E3L 2X3
Local Address: 20 St-Stephen Drive, St-Stephen NB E3L 0B5

The landing process was fairly smooth. The whole took about one hour. No major hiccups.

One difference I noticed was - the officer processing my application did not seem too familiar with the landing process. He had a lot of questions and he was asking his colleagues for help. They did help him with the process and we got through it successfully. The reason for this probably is (I am guessing because I don’t know the answer myself) - not too many people go through this land border to become a permanent resident. Personnel in international airports may be more familiar with the process since they would deal with applications like these on a daily basis.

3 Likes

My experience at Vancouver airport was unpleasant :slight_smile: It took me 5 hours to get out. So if you have a connecting flight via Vancouver, please be prepared for that much delay.

Hi @avj, are you sure about this?
I’m thinking of completing landing in Montreal since I live in Boston. Can you point me to where you read about it?

Afaik, Quebec (which has it’s own immigration track separate from rest of Canada) needs a QSC (Quebec selection certificate) to immigrate to Quebec. If you don’t have it CBSA may not let you land.

Even though CiC website does not explicitly ban landing in Quebec, everywhere I read people say the same thing, i.e. not to landing in Quebec with federal PR.

Ask yourself this: are you willing to risk your PR just because Montreal is closer to where you live, rather than land at the city mentioned on your CoPR?

Once you confirm your Federal PR you are free to move and work anywhere immediately (unless you are a PNP PR)

1 Like

Don’t risk man. Go and land in Toronto.

Hi Afaik,
I’m actually waiting for COPR. I will definitely land in Toronto. But I want to go to Montreal after obtaining my PR card. Do you think that I will face any problem??
Hans

Once you are in Canada, you can travel everywhere. There are no restrictions on traveling to Quebec from within Canada.

3 Likes

Thanks. What about the registration for medical care and other services?
Will the Quebec immigration services let me register if I do not have CSQ ?

Not sure about that. You might want to get that done in the province where you would be living long term instead of getting it in Quebec. If you are arriving using PNP, it would need to be in the province which nominated you. If you are coming through EE, get it in a province other than Quebec.

Thanks man
I will land in Toronto, But I m planning to stay in Montreal. Should I do all those admin things in Toronto or in Montreal ??
Regards
Hans

Since you got your PR through EE, it would be better to get your SIN in Toronto. As for the health insurance, since it kicks in only after 3 months, it might be better to get it in Montreal however I don’t know the process for it.