Employment letter from HR or your immediate supervisor?

Hello! Here is a screenshot of the requirements of employment records. The second bullet only says “the signature of your immediate” and it gets cut-off. If both options are readily available, who will be the better signatory, HR or your boss?

Usually it’s someone from HR that provides and signs this letter this is the common case and is accepted. Your boss or someone in the reporting structure above you is also accepted. You don’t need multiple signatures.

Anyone who was above you in reporting structure and can attest to the work you did is fine.

A follow-up question. It does mention to include pay stubs too in addition to a letter. How many pay stubs would be sufficient?

I would go with past 3 months minimum. Unless @anon25417004 or @avj say otherwise. It’s just to ensure your full time claim is supported with a pay stub.

One thing I learned after being on this forum, provide immigration officer with as much supporting information as you can with regard to your application. Let it be work experience, pay stubs, etc.

1 Like

It probably says “pay stubs, if available”.

The point is to provide as much proof as you can. For my current job I attached the past 6 months and the first couple of months after I started. For my Indian employer I had no paystubs and no HR letter so I added whatever I could find with a Letter of Explanation describing that HR had refused to give me a letter and that was fine. For one internship I added the W-2 tax form since I could not find the paystubs.

1 Like

i have a letter from Wipro for my 6-month internship with an offer letter where they mention the monthly pay for the internship, but not having any payslips. still, can I add is as an experience for EE entry?

Yes add it with whatever documentation you can find. Ask Wipro HR for a letter with job duties etc and if they deny, attach that denial email as well. Worst case CIC won’t consider that internship towards your points if they’re not satisfied.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the format of the letter. I reached out to my employer for a reference letter and they mentioned its a corporate policy to only confirm the job details (job title, salary etc) and not responsibilities. Although they did mention in the letter that they are attaching the job description for my role. I wanted to confirm if this is enough?

The other option I have another detailed reference from HR Manager that I took last year but it doesn’t have my annual salary so I can use it with this below letter that states its company policy to only provide basic details and also attach my salary slips.

Please suggest

To whom it may concern

RE: Employee Name

Further to your request for a reference for the above named individual, I am able to provide you with the following information:

Employment dates: Date. month.Year - Date.month.Year

Position: XYZ

Hours: 35 hours

Salary: £123456

I have attached a job description which details the main task/responsibilities of Aparna’s role. Please bear in mind this is not exhaustive.

Please contact if any further information is needed about Ms. First Last name.

XYZ has adopted a policy of providing only that information set out above in response to requests for references for all employees. The format adopted will be the same in the case of each request and is not intended to communicate anything about the employee other than that which is set out.

This information is given without liability or prejudice and in the strictest confidence.

Regards

Mr. XYZ
HR Coordinator

Page 2 - Generic Job Description of my job title role.

Regards
Aparna

I had the same issue. Do you have a colleague senior to you that can write a letter validating your responsibilities? You can get a generic letter with you title and pay from HR. Get a copy of the email stating their policy and get a letter from your colleague supporting your tasks and responsibilities.

Unfortunately I don’t.
After I left, there was a restructure and everyone I knew In my team left in the last 6 years. This role was 6 years ago 2009-2012. So the only thing I can get now is the letter from HR.

If you exhaust all avenues and cannot get the letter exact to specifications then it’s really up to you to do your best to explain the situation to and provide evidence.

For example you would have to write a supporting letter explaining why the proof of work is not to specifications and that you tried to get this from the company but it was a long time ago and the company policy does not provide this to ex-employees. Also include your pay slips and other details.

If you exhaust all avenues and cannot get the letter exact to specifications then it’s really up to you to do your best to explain the situation to and provide evidence.

For example you would have to write a supporting letter explaining why the proof of work is not to specifications and that you tried to get this from the company but it was a long time ago and the company policy does not provide this to ex-employees. Also include your pay slips and other details.

@gondekar.aparna. As stated the purpose is to provide as much transparency as possible. In addition to what he has suggested, I would find the a job positing at your company with the same title and responsibilities and add that along as a proof.

This way you have done the following -

1. Provided a letter from HR that you indeed worked with them at that designated title.
  2. Explained the lack of role details.
  3. Provided a job posting that provides them an outline on all the responsibilities that is handled by that designation. Since the job posting is public, you don’t have any risk of sharing it.

Hope this helps in supporting your work experience claim.

1 Like

Thanks @vignesh.pr, the reference letter actually has the job posting attached. so I think I will take this route - attached the reference provided by HR, a supporting letter from my side stating that since this job was more than 6 yrs ago, my superior and colleague have left due to re-org and the company has a policy of providing so and so details only as stated in their letter. I can however may be provide another letter from my colleague who now works in a different company on a plain paper that confirms the role i did?

Yes, if you are in contact with the colleague and they are willing to vouch for your responsibilities then a letter from them on plain paper is sufficient.
Make sure they provide their contact details so that CIC can reach out to them if they are going to validate / verify (very unlikely).

yes, i can arrange that, i am in touch with few colleagues of mine.

And how did you provide W-2 exactly? As a scan of a hard copy or you filed it electronically? I received W-2’s online from my client for the last 2 years through this website https://fillable-form-w2.pdffiller.com/ Yet I’m not sure it’ll be a fine proof for the HR, because it’s not actually a form submitted from the IRS website (despite the fact it works the same way and legal as well)

I’m not sure what you mean by “proof for the HR”. The HR, however you contact them, should be able to look you up in their system and verify that you worked for them. For providing proof of work experience, the reference letter is the most important thing. Everything else - paystubs, W-2s etc- are additional information for CIC for that particular job.

Hello, I need some advice on employment letter. I am applying for EE through Canadian experience Class, I have an employment letter with my previous employer while i was still working there from 6 months ago . This employment record letter had my salary , job responsibilities , hours worked in a week etc as per the requirements as per the NOC but says “Currently working” on it.

Now I have changed my employer. I contact the HR from the above job to give me an updated record of employment stating my start and end dates just like the letter before. They denied it since i dont work there anymore. The said it against company policy to give me that letter and just gave me a very basic letter containing the dates and the tittle of the job.

Can I use both the letters together? Is my old letter from 6 months ago considered or what do I do in this case?

Both letters together should be fine