Engaged: Apply Individually or Together?

Hi All,
Me and my fiance both have taken IELTS and if we both apply individually our score is 460+ Vs if we apply together our score is 480+. However, to do so we will have to get married in US. What would one suggest in this situation?

If it were me I would figure out whether the PR or the marriage takes priority. Depending on that you’ll have to time your PR application. I.e. to avoid complications, either both apply individually and get PR separately and then marry, or get married and then apply for PR together. Getting married in the middle of PR process can complicate and delay the application process. Usually it takes 8-10 months from start to end for EE PR process.

Note that “common-law partner” can also apply under family sponsorship without getting married, so you could apply together if you have lived together for 12+ months: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=346&top=14

Either way you apply you have a good chance of getting the ITA, however note that CRS cutoffs can go up as well as down.

1 Like

Hi @avj Thank you very much for detailed response.
We are thinking of getting married in US (do all the documentation and all) and apply for PR in september-18 not then go to India and have all the formal ceremony in December-18. Would you think this may be a problem?
Currently we are living in different states so we won’t be able to produce the required documentation.

It’s not really a problem, but more of an inconvenience w.r.t. updating the PR application if you get married when your PR process is going on. You can do it, but it’s a bit of an hassle updating the application etc. Its easier to do it before or after marriage (you will need to produce marriage certificate if you do it after marriage).