First time landing in Canada on PR

What questions were asked during processing your PR?

Did they check your 6 month financial statement again??

hey guys,

I am trying to get clarification on this, hard to find reliable source.

I received my CoPR(applied through EE) and I am planning to travel next month for my soft landing. Can I give Québec address to receive my PR card by mail? If yes, please give me legitimate source. I am seeing mixed opinions on this matter on other forums.

Thanks much in advance

Do we call “soft landing” when one drives to Canada and comes back in few hours from port of entry?
or even staying for 4-5 days in a Canadian city counted as “soft landing”.

Has anyone drove from US in a rental car from US to Canadian city like Toronto or Vancouver?
Is it easy to take rental car or one should plan direct flight to Toronto, example?

Another query:

As we received the PPR and then COPR already, so Can we renew the passport which is expiring this year or should we NOT renew the passport after getting COPR and before landing?
Does anybody know. If there are any issues then should we renew after completing soft landing?
Please suggest.

Hi Vignesh,
Thanks for your contribution in this forum, your answers’ve been pretty helpful.
I’m all set to make a landing with the next month or so.

Had a few questions about the good list you’d providd:

1. How detailed should the accompanying/following goods list be ? Should even the smallest of items be in it ? For example, would “books” suffice, or do they have to be itemized further ?

2. What fields should it contain ? Just item description and value in CAD would suffice ? (Similar to this document ? http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf )

3. Just two print outs of the excel sheet were sufficient ? Was there any specific form to go along with it ?

Thanks!

1 Like

Congratulations on getting your PR application approved.

1. Try to be as detailed as possible, but having said this books can be generic and you could put a lump sum amount for books rather that the individual pricing for each. We did the same thing for vessels, we estimated a lump sum amount in our mind based on what all we have and then but down kitchen utensils with a $ value. I’ll let you make a judgement call on this. But consolidate the items where you can and be descriptive as necessary.

2. We had Item, Qty, $ value (CAD). We did not bring up USD in this as it will add to the confusion.

3. There is a B4 Form that has good accompanying and goods to follow. Our officer filled that form for us and attached our excel sheets with it.

Make sure you take your car details as well. Though it won’t matter, we included that separately, ensuring we capture that also.

All the best.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! And congrats on making your landing too :slight_smile:

I sold my car off a few months back, so that’s one less thing to consider. But this is super helpful - I’ll consolidate as much as I can. And the rest would be judgment calls on a case by case basis. :slight_smile: Seems relatively straightforward as long as it’s well documented.

Since I’m in the US east coast and given I would probably not make a soft landing, I think driving a rental across might be easier in my case.

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time to respond!

@yeesh
@vignesh.pr
@mrandmrs
can you please help us on how to prepare goods to follow and goods accompany forms?
we are going through road to do soft landing and will stay there only for 2-3days

We forgot about preparing this earlier so can you share yours as sample to save time or if you have another sample to check then it will be very helpful

thank you

do we need to list the items like phones and clothes and other stuff which we have when doing soft landing?

also for stuff like phones and laptops or other electronic items like camera
 did you guys or do we need to list the serial numbers also as the form says?

We did for goods accompanying. For goods to follow we didn’t.

Yes list everything you are going to take. Make a high level categorization as well I.e. furniture, kitchen vessels, books, electronics etc. that way you can pivot the high level to get total sum of categories.

1 Like

Did not know where to post this
 So posting in this thread

A must read for everyone to avoid being cheated by anyone!

1 Like

It really happened and has been shared by an employee working closely with the Canadian govt, in a what’s app group.

1 Like

Hi Vignesh,
Congrats on getting your PR. I am so glad that you have mentioned your experience in detail. I had a question, did you complete your immigration in Toronto or Windsor?

We are planning to get it done in Toronto before June 2019 and just wanted to jot down the process nuances if specific. Also, since you completed your landing in Nov 2018 how long did it take to get your PR cards?

Appreciate your response!

Thanks
Appy

Did our landing in Toronto. Took a little close to 1.5 months for my wife. I had issue with photo so I got my card in 3.5 months.

hey Vignesh, how did you update address on your PR Card. We were asked by Immigration officer to update address online , but that link isn’t working.
We tried calling CIC but the number inside Canada (888-242-2100) isn’t available and the number outside canada (613-944-4000) says 'unauthoried to make call.
is there any other way to update address.?

Vignesh,
Thanks for the response! Have a good one.

I gave a friend’s address for the cards to be delivered.

@vignesh.pr Hey Vignesh
 In the CoPR which they sent to me along with the stamp on passport, I see a watermark “NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL”
 I am confused now
 could you please confirm whether this is the actual document and carry this along with us when we land in Canada for the first time?

The CoPR is “Not valid for travel” because you can’t use it by itself to enter the country since it does not actually grant you any right to enter, as you are not a PR until it is signed. You will need your passport and visa (if you are not from a visa-exempt country) that they issue with your CoPR to enter, depending on where you’re from. The visa (if required) and your passport are your travel documents.

Later, once your CoPR is signed, you can use it along with your passport to cross into Canada by land in a private vehicle since it is now evidence of your PR status, and PRs don’t need a visa to enter Canada. Airlines and other commercial transportation will expect you to have your PR card, though.

Edit: Previously I had stated that an eTA was still needed. However, IRCC officially states that citizens of visa-exempt countries do not need an eTA to travel to Canada with a valid CoPR.

4 Likes

@northern summarized it completely.