First Time PR landing and AVR re-entry into USA

We have valid I-797s for H-1Bs but visa stamps in passports are expired. Instead of having to go through visa stamping at US consulate in CA, we are planning to go by road and re-enter US through AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation). Some details about AVR in following links:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c56cfbbb0d1447af56be2609dc6128f7&rgn=div8&view=text&node=22:1.0.1.5.26.11.1.2&idno=22

I wanted to know about recent experiences of folks with AVR re-entry into USA. Are there any risks involved?

3 Likes

Hey Shashi, I was wondering whether you were sucessfully able to avail the AVR re-entry back into USA after doing your PR landing? I am planning to fly to detroit this weekend and use a rental car to WIndsor, ON to complete my landing and return on expired F-1 visa but valid I-20 and valid I-94

Hi shahidfaizee,
Actually we have not yet used it. We are planning to do so in November. Would be interested to hear your experience on the same.

1 Like

Hi Shashi,

I finished my landing last Saturday and entered US on AVR after spending around half an hour inside Canada. On the Canada side, the officer on the booth checked my immigrant visa and COPR and gave me a yellow slip and asked me to go to the immigration building. There was no one but agent inside the building so no wait time to process my COPR. Once that was done, I turned around my car and entered US.

On the US side, the officer checked my expired F1 visa, valid I-20 and I-94 and also my unexpired EAD card, asked me where I live, where I studied, what I studied and asked me when was the last time I went to India and when I came back to US and then he let me. I did not have to step out of the car on the US side.

It was a very smooth experience overall.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear about a smooth experience.

congrats on become PR

Hi @shahidfaizee , @avj,

I live in Michigan and am planning to do my first entry by road through Windsor. Please help me with the questions I have.

1. place of destination is Brampton in my COPR document. Should I go to Brampton ? or Can I just enter Canada and return like @shahidfaizee did.

2. I am planning to go during Christmas Holidays (last week of December). just wanted to confirm whether the immigration office to complete my first landing procedures will be open.

3. Should I definitely get my SIN during my first visit or leave it for later ?

4. Will the procedure to PR card be completed in the port of Entry ? I am planning to give my Friend’s Canadian address and return on the same day. Will it be a problem ?
    Is there any other mandatory procedures to complete during first entry as PR ?

Hi Shahid,

I had a quick question regarding your re-entry to the US after landing process in Canada. Was an H1B application applied for you when you re-entered US through AVR? Does it matter if an H1B application is applied and in pending state with a valid EAD card? Thanks!

Guys can we take rental car from usa to can?
For example if we fly to detroit or buffalo then can we take rental car from there and goto toronto for 3 days and come back to same city and fly back to home city?

Hi srhere, any update on rental car , have you been to canada and returned back on rental car ?

Hi shashi, Have you used the AVR, how was your experience ? have you travelled through flight or car ?

Yes, we used AVR. We travelled by car. Overall was a smooth experience. Entered Canada and got the PR process done. Stayed about a week and got back via the Vermont border. Officer looked at our docs for H1b and asked about last trip to India and said Welcome back! So we didnt even get out of the car or need to go for secondary inspection. Suggest you take all relevant docs. Good luck

shashi , Thanks for the update.
Its good that it went smooth with you. It will give confidence for many people like me.

Hi Shashi,

Hope you are doing good! I have a question for say after my renew H1 and my stamped visa got expired since Sept 2012 still I am applicable to AVR? Also my friend who came on H4 got converted to F1 and currently on OPT with valid EAD even her visa are not stamped still is she eligible for AVR? Please help

Hi All,
I have a question regarding AVR process. While entering back to USA, how does the CBP officer at US border determine weather the non immigrant stayed out of USA for less than 30 days. Do we get any stamp while exiting USA Border. Any one who has recently used AVR , please share your experience.

For reference, I was reading Memo regarding AVR process - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/automatic-revalidation-for-certain-temporary-visitors .It says US non immigrants who has stayed in Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days are eligible for AVR.

Hey Shashi,
Did you travel to Montreal for your landing?
I live in Boston and wanted to travel to Montreal but I’m seeing conflicting replies as to whether landing in Quebec is safe since they have a different sort of system.

Yes we originally explored landing in Montreal since it was closer for us too but some people advised against it for precisely the same reason you mention. So we did the landing in Toronto and went via New York. While coming back we wanted to explore which is why we came back through Montreal and Vermont border.

DdI you use AVR to re-enter? If yes, how did it go?

Hello everyone,
I had a question. If I’m driving to Canada to confirm my PR using my own car, should I add the car under Accompanying Goods or under Goods to Follow assuming I will not be staying permanently when I land there and will import the car later.
Thanks

Put in under GTF

Thank you for your reply. Is there a route/bridge you prefer I enter Toronto from?