For PR which English Test is better CELPIP or IELTS

Hi All,

The IELTS centers are booked till May in USA (NY Region). Is it ok to give CELPIP instead of IELTS ?

Any major differences ?

TIY

Based on my research:
pros of celpip over ielts:

• celpip is marginally easier than ielts in listening
  • celpip just takes 3 hours as opposed to ielts that takes 5 hours
  • celpip is all computerised, yes even the writing part. where as IELTS is hand-written
  • seems celpip is cheaper also than IELTS :slight_smile:
  • closer dates available for celpip than IELTS
  • also seems celpip is easier overall just because it is computer based.

cons:
*celpip has less training material than ielts, ielts has tons of material available online.
*ielts has more restricted band than celpip… celpip goes till level 12… ielts goes till level 10.

• celpip is only restricted to canadian immigration… but ielts is more widely accepted (in countries outside of US and canada).
  • speaking - celpip is marginally harder than IELTS

Thats it so far from me.

So did you take the CELPIP ?

No… As I mentioned, I did some exploring around online. But seriously considering it.
What are your thoughts on this?

Honestly I never considered it just went with IELTS I found a center easy enough. I’m updating this answer with some research I did around how one can think through choosing one of these tests. I personal did not overthink this part and just went for the IELTS but people other there might be weighting their options. The information provided by @singla.vineet is very useful this might add to it or overlap.

CELPIP Test

1. Designed specifically to assess key language skills required for Canadian PR and citizenship.
  2. The test uses Canadian English and accepts both British and American English spellings
  3. Similar length of test except for the listening section which is about 30 minutes longer
  4. Speaking test involves 8 short-answer questions
  5. Price of test is similar
  6. Entirely on the computer

IELTS Test

1. Used for various purposes world over including study, work and immigration
  2. Recognizes both British and American English spellings and mixed accents
  3. Similar length of test except listening section shorter by 30 minutes
  4. Speaking test involves an informal conversation
  5. Price is similar
  6. Entirely using a pencil on paper

So who wins?

I will say it entirely comes down to if you’re more comfortable giving these tests on a computer or on paper. How hard one test is compared to the other is debatable. If I had to do it again I would still go with IELTS I am more comfortable giving tests with a pencil on paper (done it all my life) especially ones which require a fair amount of writing.