Foreign work experience of 1-2 years vs. 3 years

Hi all,

There is the distinction between 1-2 years and 3 years in terms of how many points one can get. What’s the cutoff between the 1-2 years and 3 years? In other words, when will someone with 2 years of full time experience transition to the 3 years category? A day after two full years, after 2.5 years, or will it have to be at least 3 full years?

Thanks so much!

For the FSW category of Express Entry timeline for . skilled work experience is calculated as follows. This is the calculation for a single year so for 3 you would need three times these numbers. This is verified by the start and end dates on your proof of work letter.

• At least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous
  • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • Equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

This is helpful information; thanks for responding!

I believe, like myself, most people who work “full-time” in the US work 40 hours per week. When calculating 1 year equivalence of full time for the purpose of EE, would you use 1 year full time in the US as 1 year or can it be counted as 1.33 years by using 40/30 based on number of hours? This may make a difference for some applicants.

The way I understand it is thats its per week. If you work 30 hours or more during a week then you add 30 to your total till a max of 1560. If you make that number you claim a year. But since most jobs are not hourly your start and end date is how you claim a year and not based on hours.

@anon25417004
Do we count contract job also as full time or part time.?

if part time then that post of yours tell part time in 15 hours/week?
Can we consider contract job of 30hours/week *12 months as full 1 year ?

thanks

and why is CRS calculator showing same points with 1 year and 2 year experience… Any idea?

Only difference it makes if we have 3 year experience and points increase than (1 or 2) year experience.

When you say contract job I’m guessing you mean “self-employed” this can be a little complicated. Firstly your NOC needs to allow for self-employment. For example see NOC 2011 for web designers it says “may be self-employed”

Web designers and developers research, design, develop and produce Internet and Intranet sites. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, advertising agencies or they may be self-employed.

Once you’re past this hurdle you need to then be able to prove your years of work experience. You can do this ith letters from your clients that detail the work you did and the hours you put in. The full-time or part time designation is based on hours of work per week and not on if you’re employed by a company or on your own.

Yes if you worked 30/hours per week for 12 months then you can count that as 1 year of experience if you worked only 15 then you have to work for 24 hours to claim 1 year or experience.

Thats correct for 1 to 2 years of experience you will get 25 points maximum provided you have a CLB 9 or more on all four first official language abilities. If you only have CLB 7 or more then you’ll only get 13 points. If you have 3 or more years then you’ll get either 50 or 25 points based on the CLB score.

sorry… i should have been clear… contract means not self employed or full time… i have teaching experience and there on experience letter they mentioned as Contract job… which means not full time and kinda yearly contract which renews every year…

Full-time or part time is based on hours per week (Max 30 hours per week) the legal details of your employment contract are not relevant.

The experience letter needs to have all the start and end dates of your work and either mention it was full-time (30 hours per week) or part time (15 hours per week) as well as details of your title and role which should match the NOC number you have picked. You can have multiple NOC numbers with a letter to back each one.

I’m not sure how the words “contact job” make any sense everyone has an employment contract it’s just that you’re has a term that says it needs to be renewed yearly. Keep some pay slips that you can submit along with your application.

i don’t have pay slips… :frowning:
the college never gave those… can i show bank statement for salary proof although it does not show who credited it but just shows “SAL” or “SALARY” for different months…

Sorry I mentioned it did not want to create any stress. Pay slips are not required to be submitted but they do help strengthen your proof of work. In the end your documentation needs to convince an officer that your work experience is genuine. If you’re proof of work letter is on company letterhead, signed and has all the requested details then you should be fine. The words “contract job” should not matter as long as the timeline of work is documented and its clear that you were paid a salary.

1 Like

Hello,

I have few questions related to this.

1. I have 8 years experience in India and 1-year experience in US. Does foreign work experience will be counted against both India and US or just US? In my understanding ‘foreign’ job experience means work experience outside of Canada.

2. Is there extra point in CRS when my ‘foreign’ job experience is more than 3 years?

Thanks,
Balbir

1. India and US, both count as foreign experience.

2. There are no additional points for experience over 3 years.