Got my PR now whats next?

If you’re a Federal PR you can land anywhere in Canada except Quebec (If you want to land in Quebec you must have had gone through the Quebec immigration stream). It’s recommended to land in the city you mention though, just to avoid any additional questions from CBSA.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

Thanks @avj, appreciate the details

Thank you for such a detailed description. It helped me answer most of my doubts. However, from what i have heard, PRTD is valid only for single entry. Please can you tell me what did you do differently to get multiple entry document.

No, PRTD can be valid for multiple entry. They will automatically consider you for multiple entry, however it’s good to mention it in your cover letter for PRTD application that you need multiple entries.

Hello Guys,

I just got my CoPR & Canadian Visa this week. I’m currently in USA, working on F1/OPT. I’m planning to do a soft-landing in Ontario this weekend, either by flight or by Car. I’m planning to come back in 2days & for the PR, I will give my friend’s address who stays in Canada, he will courier me once he gets it. I have few questions if you can answer them:

1. What all documents are needed to carry with you when you’re going there first time?
  2. How much time does the PR card take once applied?
  3. Is it wise to give Goods to follow list now itself?
  4. As I’m looking to go for 2 days, I will be hardly carrying any money as I have US credit cards, so will it work if I just show them my financial proof of US bank & tell them I’ll carry money/transfer with me once I’m moving permanently ?
  5. Also, can you provide me with list of things to complete once you land there for first time? like (PR Card application, SIN no., opening a bank account (which one though?)etc.)

Thank you everyone for helping each other out.

1. COPR, Passport, Proof of funds
  2. 2 months
  3. yes.
  4. Yes.
  5. PR Card application is automatic. You dont have to specifically do it. Get SIN no.
    Im trying to find more information on bank account as well.
1 Like

@prag I went with RBC newcomers package. RBC no-limit banking (no fee for first year) + RBC credit card. To avoid fees, change no-limit to day-to-day or something else later. You can provide your USA address as the mailing address and they will mail everything to that address - including the credit card. Just make sure you book a bank appointment in advance. You can also add RBC US bank account for cross border transfer.

3 Likes

Is it really 2 months for PR card? IRCC website says 45 days. Im planning to visit India after 2 months of landing in August. Is there a way if one wants to travel before PR card has arrived?

apply for PRTD. You can use it while you wait for PR card.

Thanks for your quick response. Can PRTD br applied while in Canada or it has to be applied from outside?

Thanks a lot! Although I’m seeing in some forums, that the officer at the Canadian border doesn’t allow you to apply for PR Card because she knows that you’re only here for 2 days etc.?

I would like to know on how to get this done. Should I just tell him/her that I’m going to lease an apartment with my friend who stays in Canada & eventually move everything once I’m done with quitting my job & that PR card is necessary for me.

Although I’m seeing in some forums, that the officer at the Canadian border doesn’t allow you to apply for PR Card because she knows that you’re only here for 2 days etc.?

Idk who on this forum said this (maybe they had a unique experience). As soon as your PR is confirmed by the officer you have the right to a PR card, it shouldn’t be dependent on how long you are staying there.

The officer usually does not ask you how long you are staying there, that’s totally your call. If they ask say “a few days”.

I would like to know on how to get this done. Should I just tell him/her that I’m going to lease an apartment with my friend who stays in Canada & eventually move everything once I’m done with quitting my job & that PR card is necessary for me.

You are overthinking this. Don’t say anything unless they ask. If asked, say you’re staying for a few days to prepare your eventual move to Canada.

Whatever address you give is the address they will send the PR card to!

Also, if for some reason you are unable to get a PR card, just come back to the US and apply for PRTD.

1 Like

Okay thank you very much.

Hello all,

My self and my wife got our Confirmation of Permanent Residence,CoPR. My wife is currently pregnant and we live in US. The baby is due in two months and the PR visa date is valid till August 2019 (we gave our medical in August 2018). We are planning to soft land in Vancouver for 2 days, confirm our PR and return to US using AVR ( my wife’s visa is expired but she has a valid i797). We plan to immigrate to Canada after a year.

I would be grateful if someone could answer the following questions

1. Should I inform CIC about the baby’s arrival?
  2. I have read that CoPR date in the PR visa foil cannot be extended under any circumstances. Is it true? (I need to be prepared just in case, as I need to apply for Passport for the newborn to travel to Canada after the child is born and it may take time).
  3. Should I ask IRCC more time to get PR stamped (as the time between the baby’s birth and the PR visa foil expiration date would be very close).
  4. Should I get a travel visa for the baby to enter into Canada? (or any other visa as the baby would be US citizen)
  5. How to add the baby as a PR dependent? Should I do it before entering Canada? Or can I do it after re-entering to US and before moving to Canada permanently.

Thanks in advance!

Good information in this thread. My queries are for people who have already moved.

1. When doing the landing by road (Vancouver), we need to have an official form (B4?) filled out beforehand along with the goods accompanying list, yes? If not, can someone please paste the appropriate link to correct forms.
  2. The good accompanying list needs to mention the CAD$ value, yes?
  • If so, is there a limit on the value of your personal belongings that can be brought into Canada? (like it is with cash of <10k)?

• Do we need the approximate value or the current market value of the item(s)?

• Do we need to list jewelry as well? If so, any experience in how to get the valuation of the same?

Would appreciate any response/help.

Thanks very much

Hi,
Couple of key points (I am not a lawyer, so get legal advice):

1. You don’t have to disclose till baby is born. You can land before the baby is born. However you will need to do 6-8 months long paperwork for the baby’s PR once you are living in Canada as PR.
  2. After the baby is born, you are required to disclose it to CIC. You might have noticed your CoPR has a list of your dependents and asks if there is one who is not listed in the application. If you don’t disclose at this point, there is no way you would be able to sponsor your child in future and it might also jeopardize you PR status in future.
  3. If you disclose to CIC, before baby landing (in this case disclose as soon as possible) - they will cancel your current CoPR. Once the baby is born, you have to get the baby’s medical done. Looks like this would be too close to your medical expiry date, so likely you all will need to do medical again. Then you will all get new CoPRs. If anyone of existing applicants or newborn is found to have any serious medical issue - it will cancel the PR application for everyone.
  4. Unless you are going to land by road, it might not be possible for your wife to take a flight at this stage of pregnancy.

Options:

1. Unless your are concerned/want to hedge against any health issue: Simplest action is notify CIC now, get new CoPRs and land. There are elections in November, try to do landing before that.
  2. You and your wife can land now. You can worry about adding the baby later on. You will need to do more paperwork later on, when you are ready to move. Baby would still need to pass medicals then, before he/she is granted PR.
  3. Move to Canada now and have baby there. Canadian Citizens don’t have to be added to PR application. However the baby will miss having US Citizenship.

US Citizens do not need a visa for Canada. In fact US Canada have a special treaty, where their respective citizens do not need and cannot get a Visa stamp for each other. A Canadian Citizen on H1, can enter US just on copy of I-797. They don’t need a H1 visa stamp.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply.

My wife is on bedrest till her delivery ( advised by her doctors ). It is not possible for her to travel before the delivery. So we cannot travel before the baby is born. As per the due date, the baby will be born before 1st week of July. The PR visa date is valid till August 28,2019.

Initially we thought of going to Canada and get our PR stamped before the delivery but now things have changed. Our only option is to deliver the baby in US and then go to Vancouver (nearest port of entry) and get PR confirmation.

1. Can we get an extension of the CoPR date in the PR visa citing medical reason? (we can provide hospital medical records).
  2. If the extension is granted, then can myself and wife get our CoPR stamped and then add the baby as my dependent later?

Thanks

As soon as you notify CIC about the pregnancy or child birth, they will cancel your current CoPR. At that point of time, there would be no way to land without going through these steps: child birth, medicals, new CoPRs valid 1 year from the new medical. Sometimes they give the new CoPR beyond current medical validity without needing new medicals or ask you whether you can land before Aug 28. This is unlikely in your case, because your wife would have just had a childbirth.

Given that your wife can’t travel right now, if you are the primary applicant - technically you can land right now. Consult an Immigration lawyer, if you are planning to go down this path - so that you understand the consequences of this for your, your wife’s and baby’s PR. In this case, there is a possibility that you will need to do the process both for your wife and baby as dependents. As I said, get legal opinion if you are doing down this path.

To answer your questions:

1. You will get an extension, most likely with request for new medicals.
  2. After child birth - there is no way to land without doing baby’s medical and getting new CoPR for everyone.
2 Likes

Thanks for your prompt reply. I got a good understanding of what to expect. I will consult an Immigration lawyer before proceeding further. Once again thanks for your time!