H1B Visa Interview after receiving Canadian PR card

Hello,

I am currently residing in USA on H1B visa. I recently received my Canadian PR card, although I haven’t made any plans to move to Canada yet. Me and my wife are planning to visit our families in India and also get our Visa stamping for H1B renewal.

While filling the DS-160(to get the visa interview dates), I see the following question:
Are you a permanent resident of a country/region other than your country/region of origin (nationality) indicated above?
Since I already have the PR card, my answer would be YES here.

1. What I want to know is, if anyone has been in a similar situation? If so, how did your visa interview go?
  2. Does this situation affect your chances of getting your renewal/H1B visa stamp?
  3. Did the officer ask any questions related to your permanent residency?

Please share your experiences.

Thank you!

1 Like

Search the forums. I remember reading about someone else landing in Canada and then giving their interview straightaway in Vancouver or Toronto.

You just need to be truthful about your situation and tell the interviewer about your plans. Its really hard to comment on your chances since the outcome depends on each individual’s situation. Good luck!

As I mentioned before, my case is a little different as I am having my H1B interview in India and not in Canada. I was trying to look for forum you mentioned but I could not find it. Can someone please direct me towards it ?

I had the exact situation and I have received my COPR, I completed my landing in Jun 2017 and I had my H1B renewal interview in Toronto at the same time. It is not an issue at all. I have declared I am a Canadian PR and actually it was printed on my H1B visa as well. After that I moved to Canada in Feb 2018.

4 Likes

Thanks @salishreyas for sharing your experience.

You have no choice but to answer the question truthfully.