Introduce yourself šŸ™‚

Welcome and thanks, weā€™re trying to be helpful. Iā€™ll tackle point 2 as point 1 will require some more thought and Iā€™m on a bit of a year end holiday.

The PR process is easy and transparent itā€™s something quite manageable and almost entirely online. Additionally itā€™s the same no matter where you apply from. Yes there might be minor differences in terms of documents you would need as opposed to someone who lived and studied in the US but the process itself is the same.

The best place to read up on the process is on the Mov North site. Checkout the detailed PR guide itā€™s an easy read. If you then have questions of have specific questions ask away.

https://movnorth.com/process/

A post was split to a new topic: Should I get a PR or a work visa first?

Hi Iā€™m Satbeer and I recently got an ITA. I work for eBay in Bay area as a Software developer specializing in Distributed systems. The idea of migrating to Canada was introduced by my girlfriend (now fiancĆ©e) who already holds a Canadian PR(but in US now.) She continuously insisted me apply for EE, though I was a bit irritated in the beginning (thankful now), but i decided to give it a try after reading @anon25417004ā€™s article. Though Iā€™m not close to moving to Canada now but the thought of living freely without restrictions and less visa hassles is refreshing.Iā€™m yet far from moving to Canada but I will start exploring the job market after i get a PR(fingers crossed).

Satbeer, Thatā€™s a common thought process many H1Bā€™s I know want to at least have a PR in hand as a backup. Itā€™s understandable that people love their jobs and have a good life going for them so change is hard. If you get PR you have a year to claim it and then have to live 2/5 years in Canada to maintain PR.

Hi,
I am Vineetā€¦ I am working for Comcast in Philadelphia. I did my B.Tech from India and MS in Comp Sci. from Chicago. The way this country treats its skilled, legal and tax paying people is appalling. Add to it the long uncertainty of obtaining a GC here. This got me to look out for other avenues and Canada strikes me as the best alternative. I do not mind the cold since I have lived NE/mid-west for most of my stay in USA. Peace of mind is what I yearn for. Thanks for bringing up this web site. So far it has been great great help. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Since a lot of people on here are doing research on options outside the US it would have interesting to have a thread about their findings. I remember when we were initially planning I had Singapore and Berlin on my list and having lived in Singapore before would have loved to go back. But in the end we picked Canada for various reasons.

Hello all, Just to give you a brief background about myself. Iā€™m living in USA since 2008. I did my M.S in computer science and have a work experience of 8 years.Currently Working as a Hadoop developer with TCS. My wife works for CTS. Iā€™m in my 5th year of H1B and my GC has been not initiated yet and my wife came to US couple of years ago and CTS has stopped GC processing since an year. Iā€™m tired of U.S immigration.whenever I change a company I have to file for Transfer/amendment where Iā€™m not sure if my visa could be approved. I would like to move to hassle free immigration so Iā€™m planning to migrate to canada.I got to know about through Quora. Currently Iā€™m preparing for IELTS and planning to take the test asap. I hope this community will guide me in all the steps I have to follow in obtaining canada PR.

1 Like

That stress you mention Iā€™m pretty sure lots of people on here are very familiar with. Let me just say the PR process on a high level is pretty easy and transparent. For the details you need help with a lot of your questions have have already been answered. If you canā€™t find what youā€™re looking for feel free to ask anything.

Hello ,

I am Aparna , I am currently living in Charlotte, NC along with my husband and a 2 yr old. I am working on H1B with Wells Fargo Bank while my husband took a break from work and decided to do his masters in data analytics. he is a Software engineer with 10+ yrs of exp.

Just like you, i absolutely love my job and we have worked and lived in US for close to 6 years now but with all the uncertainties with H1B and GCā€¦ we are fed up with the wait period and really want to settle at one place, call it a home. i am into BA role for integrated marketing channels mainly credit cards while dealing with customer data so not purely a tech role.

Canada has always been in the back of our mind and we felt, why not? the time is right to start exploring and move to Canada.

we are really looking forward to get all the information and start our application soon. i just booked my IELTS dates today, the next step is to get my education credentials evaluated.

I do wanted to ask you about the job marketing for marketing data analyst kind of roles. How open are recruiters to entertain an applicant who is not local? can we apply, give interview and get a job offer may be before the move or we must first move and then start looking for job?

Regards
Aparna & Sandeep

A quick search on Linkedin jobs for this position in Toronto shows a lot of openings. I would say first get your PR and then when you start reaching out say you have a PR. It will be harder to do your job search without it as companies would be less open to these positions. You donā€™t have to move till you have a job it will give you more room to negotiate and find the best job without a clock ticking. FYI as a PR your husband can pay local student rates for his fees if he chooses to transfer over.

Thanks @anon25417004, sounds like a planā€¦ didnā€™t knew that employers are open for candidates if they arenā€™t localā€¦ so far whomever I spoke to said we need to be there in person for job search, so itā€™s good to know this might not be complete truth :slight_smile:

Will definitely explore the option of transfering credits and see if that fits for his area of specialization.

You can do a lot online. I know bunch of people who did. You have to mention that you are PR and there is not need to mention that you are not in Canada as that irrelevant. If you can schedule a few interviews over a week itā€™s then worth flying in for those. If youā€™re in tech then you can potentially request for a phone screen or a remote interview.

Hello All,

My name is Krishna and I live in India now. I am a Product Manager and been working in Analytics for quite a long time. First, great community with active participation.

I have been thinking of Canadian PR since last year and finally acting on it now (after working and knowing issues in USA and UK, feel Canada is a bit better). I am a bit skeptical as I am 40+ and not to sure how that will effect my chances and employ-ability.

All the best and looking forward to share experiences through the journey.

Best,
Krishna

All credit goes to the members they keep it vibrant :slightly_smiling_face: You have two options go the PR route and second find a PM job and get in on a work visa using the new GTS fast work visa. Be sure to use the CIC CRS calculator to figure out your points. I think the last cutoff was around 450.

Outside of those two primary options can try and get the provincial nomination itā€™s a common route taken by people. A nomination ensures PR.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, we have a great community here and members are really helpful.
I am doubtful on crossing 450 mark. I am exploring PNP option, will have to see how it goes.

For job route, I could not find anybody willing to recruit from overseas either in PM or analytics roles. Any tips / pointers on this would be of great help.

If you look at the GTS website Product Managers are not listed under the GTS Category B list which most companies want to use to quickly bring in foreign talent.

Also a PM is a major role and the work is subjective. So most companies want to go through a discovery process before making the hire which is harder with overseas candidates and so prefer someone who is already in Canada. As for analytics is there any specific company you tried to reach? Feel free to private message me.

Hello

This is Harsha. I have around 8 yrs of experience in UI . Getting into UX right now.
I am glad i found this community as we had not so good experience with our attorney handling my husbandā€™s PR.

My hubby got a PR in 2012 . Unfortunately he is not ready to move to Canada yet. He hasnā€™t maintained his 2/5 yr residence requirement . With that we think we have a few options left

• He moves in right now and i can be on a visitor visa ( Not ideal and we are not ready yet )

• He sponsors for my PR . ( This was our plan however due to misinformation by our attorney we couldnā€™t apply for my PR in time. Now he says itā€™s too late since my husband being primary spsonsor himself hasnā€™t maintained his PR )

• I apply for a PR independently and then sponsor my husband later . We prefer this one.

Could you share some light on what we should be the ideal way to proceed ?

You mentioned that 1 and 2 donā€™t work for you. Also you didnā€™t mention if you are already in Canada or not ? Also is he in Canada or not ? He needs to be in Canada to sponsor you.

It seems applying for express entry with your self as a principal applicant and husband as a dependant is a good option for you. Since Iā€™m not an immigration lawyer or consultant I cannot advice you on things like petition a judge to renew your husbands PR on compassionate grounds. Even if his PR card was renewed he would have to live in Canada for over 6 months before he can sponsor you which itself will take over a year.

In short going the express entry route seems like your best bet.

Hi

Thanks for the reply . We both are not in Canada . Outside in US.
Great we will go for the express entry route.

Do you know if we can re-use her police and medical certificates which we had done a year ago ?
The medical test document has an expiry of 2025.

Please let us know

How do you know the expiry date did you get a ā€œUpfront Medical Reportā€ from the doctor? Many doctors now submit the report directly (electronically)

Not sure when you husband got his PR but the process can since changed the new process called ā€œExpress Entryā€ is invite based so you will not need your medical checkup until you get an invite (ITA). Invites are sent based on a decided cutoffā€™s multiple times a year.

Finally for your question I wouldnā€™t recommend reusing it. As the visa granted after you secure PR is give for a period if 1 year from the date of your medical exam and this is not possible for your case. From what iā€™ve heard even 6 months is too old for medical checkups.