Should I get a PR or a work visa first?

Thanks Anshul & . Just another quick question - do you guys recommend applying for companies and getting an offer first, or go through the PR process first and then use that to apply to companies?

While I understand some companies prefer candidates who already have a PR, just wanted to get a perspective on what is the best strategy to approach this?

There is a new fast work visa process called Global Talent Stream its currently limited to some skill sets like software developers. If you can get a job then companies could bring you in on that. If you apply for PR with a job then you get a ton of extra points.

Honestly its not very easy to get a job first without having some kind of work status so best bet is not to delay the PR process you can always reapply.

Is GTS option available for India? Thanks.

Global Talent Stream (GTS) is open to the whole world. If you have the skills (software development / management) and can find a match with a company looking to hire you then you can come and work in Canada on a fast work visa.

MOVNorth has partnered with canadian tech companies to help match foreign tech talent with Canadian companies looking to hire and if there is a match they do all the paperwork. All of this is at no cost to the candidate.

I am working for an MNC for more than 10 years, and now in USA on H1b visa since 2013. Me and my spouse are interested in migrating to Canada and wrote IELTS and scored overall 8.5 and 8, but our CRS score is now only 420+. Currently we are in the process of getting our educational documents evaluated by WES. My organization is currently offering me a Canadian work permit and the process has just started. Will this help me to increase my CRS scores and chances of getting ITA for PR? Also if I go on work permit to Canada, can my wife get a work permit there as my dependent? How long I should stay in Canada in work permit to apply for PR? Could you please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Runcie

Increasing IELTS and/or getting a Canadian job offer is the only way to increase score. Based on what I read your score increases by 200 if you have a valid Candian job offer (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=695&top=29).

Also, if you decide to go using a work permit then you can apply through Provincial Nomination (can be separate from Express Entry I believe https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees.html) or Candian Experience Class (comes under Express Entry) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

3 Likes

If you move on a work permit then you can start your PR process almost immediately with the extra points that @avj mentioned or avail of a Provincial Nomination prog both of which will almost ensure your PR comes quickly.

While your PR application is in progress your spouse can get an open work permit. Outside of that, she would need to get her own work permit.

1 Like

I was reading through this and thought of updating based on my understanding and current situation of points

• You could get 50 or 200 points , 200 points only if you are a senior executive (C level . VP, etc). 50 points is the most common scenario. So if your CRS score is around 395-400, it can get you to near or across the current cutoff.
  • With your work permit, your spouse also will get a work permit on which (s)he can work in Canada.

While on a work permit, what are the requirements for the spouse to get their own work permit?

Nothing . As long as you can prove your relationship using marriage certificate, they will be eligible for open wp