Job hunt on H1B + Impact of US/Canada border closure

Currently, I have CRS of 449, earlier I got ITA but dropped it because was in transition to the promotion. No hopes in a new future for ITA with 449. I have submitted the PNP application for Saskatchewan - fingers crossed!!

I have 10 years of software engineering experience from the USA on H1B + Masters from here. I have applied for the Jobs in GTA & Vancouver but the outcome is not that positive. Few questions in mind:

1. Are companies hesitant to hire foreign talent because of the COVID thing?
  2. Did anyone get the Job offer from here in the USA this year?
  3. If at all it is possible for Canadian firms to give offer since US/Canada border is closed?

Please guide, what should be strategy now to get into Canada with score =449? What all options one has on H1B visa?

Thank you so much!!!

Hello Swami Om,

Being in Greater Vancouver for the last 18+ months and in my attempt to recommend some of my friends from the US (who did not have PR) to my employer in Canada; I see there is no dearth of tech talent for most roles in Canada; at least in Vancouver area. Some roles stay open, longer than others; but that could be for various reasons like not a good candidate match or mis-match in expectations between the employer/employee. Further, with the huge influx of tech talent from India in to Canada (folks with 3-5 years exp. + Canadian PR) the employers have little incentive to hire non PR candidates.

With regards to your Qs.:

1. I don’t believe COVID has anything to do with hiring; at least in the Tech industry. If anything, it’s helped most orgs realize that they can be just as successful with minimum office space / footprint as remote work is now accepted everywhere.

2. Yes; I know of several people who secured a dev / QA role while they were in India (or in US). Product/Project Management roles come by harder.

3. Again, since everyone’s remote, even if one gets an offer and starts work; I don’t think it matters whether the person is in US or Canada or elsewhere. This may vary from team to team & based on the nature of your work; but remote work is generally well accepted since last year.

Sorry but I don’t have much tips on the score being 449. Others may have favourable inputs on this.

Good luck with your pursuits!

1 Like